PDA

View Full Version : Robber Fly 'Bee mimic'

Keith Kennedy
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
This robber fly (Asilidae) is one of the more impressive bee mimics in the midwest. As a result, they are very successful predators. I have tried many times to get close enough for a photograph without success but finally found a somewhat cooperative individual in my backyard.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon 180mm f3.5 + 1.4 converter, ISO 800, f13 and 1/125s; AV, Evaluative metering, exp. comp. +1/3; tripod mounted, existing light, location-Wisconsin garden. The larger file size of the 40D allowed a significant crop (ca. 40%) of the image. Focus was on the center of the face between the compound eyes.

Mike Moats
07-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Hey Keith I've never tried to shoot these guys but I'm sure its not easy. You did a nice job, and I like the DOF

Gus Cobos
07-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Keith,
I too like your composition. I am fond of the up close and in your face type of pose. The details are great. The only thing that I would change is the intense hues on the greens both the leaf and the background. I would desaturate the greens by 1/4. I believe that with a more pale approach, your bug would stand out better. Thats my personal taste...:D:cool:

Robert O'Toole
07-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Keith,

Robber flies are very challenging, thanks for sharing this one. The light is great and head on view gives you great eye contact. Very good details in the face!

I like it a lot!

Robert

Noel Carboni
07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Yow! I can't help but think this one would deal out some pain to its prey.

Very nice composition. The slight tilt accents the centered subject, which works great in this case because it's aimed right at us, and the intensity is increased, as though it's about to leap.

-Noel

Lana Hays
07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I really like the detail and the head on view. Great compliment of colors between the mimic and the green leaf as well. I used to collect insects as a kid.....they were hard to catch in a net, much less get close enough to photograph. Well done.

Steve Maxson
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
The insect world is filled with fascinating mimics and you did a very nice job with this one. I'm jealous. :)

Julie Kenward
07-24-2008, 02:24 PM
This image is very well done, Keith! The DOF, detail, composition and lighting are all as good as one could hope for! I wouldn't change a thing.

I love robber flies. I caught up with a few at the butterfly exhibit at my local botanical garden last year and they was a blast to photograph. I am hoping to catch sight of some again for this year's exhibit in August when I return with my 40D and macro lens.

Jody Melanson
07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Very nice Keith! The poor Bee that comes on to this Robberfly! :D