PDA

View Full Version : wasp for gus

Dave Slaughter
07-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Gus has been showing us a lot of pictures with water droplets lately, and here is my rendition. I got a new macro lens for my birthday, and saw this guy on some Queen Anne's lace this morning after some rain last night. (My original intention was to photograph MacGillivray's warblers, an exercise in frustration if there ever was one. I'm really glad I had this lens along.) Camera Canon 300D, sigma 105mm macro lens, f9, ISO 100, 1/125. I'll never complain about DOF when shooting birds again. Thanks for looking. The highlights in this shot were darkened to accentuate the water droplets.

Alfred Forns
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi Dave If you need further frustration try again the warblers ... but in flight !!!!

As presented would move the insect lower and left A bit centered? I think you can just crop it into place Will eliminate some of the dead space at the bottom.
I like the water effect although the the white oof sure competes for attention. btw if you like the water droplets go out with a spray bottle next time !!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Dave, I think your bee shows some nice details, background is nice but do tend to agree with Al about the oof drops.
Regards,

Julie Kenward
07-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Dave, I noticed that you said the highlights were darkened to show off the water drops...yet, it seems a little bit "hot" in places to me. Your depth of focus (DOF) is very nice and you did a great job capturing the foreground with the wasp, but that upper left corner (PLC) seems to detract from the overall image to me.

Harold Davis
07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
you got some pretty good detail there dave!!! i like it!! i think the above posts covered the issues!! i might add that if next time you can get in front of the insect. shoot him headon and try to get both eyes!!