PDA

View Full Version : Male Flame Skimmer

Dan Brown
07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
This male Flame Skimmer was shot with a shoulder stock mounted Nikon D200, 80-400mmVR and 400mm, 1/1600sec, f8, ISO 400, fill flash with SB800, high speed sync -2.0. PP in CS3, slight crop. I tried to desaturate the red body, hoping to bring out some detail, but I couldn't make it happen, any ideas?

Dan Brown

Mike Moats
07-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Hey Dan, very nice image with good details. The D-fly seems a tad over saturated but we'll see if others think the same. I would also consider cropping on the left to offset the subject in the frame.

Robert O'Toole
07-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi Dan,

You nailed the sharpness DOF and its a great perch with a ultra smooth BG. Great work.

Agree with the points Mike brought up and also I would have stepped to the right a couple of feet if I was there. Its preferable to be parallel or slightly in front to keep the Dfly looking into the image. It makes for a more intimate portrait.

Controlling reds and oranges and pinks is very tough. Some people use a magenta filter in the field.

Robert

Robert

Dan Brown
07-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! Robert, the problem with stepping either way was that I would introduce undesirable stuff to the BG, but I will keep your recommendations in mind for next time. Dan