PDA

View Full Version : Herons mating

Joan Chasan
07-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Konica minolta 5d. sigma 170-500 lens. Thanks for any comments. ( never seem to be able to get pictures as sharp when posting as they are originally).
008:01:12 08:44:33
500mm
750mm (in 35mm film)
1/1000 sec, f/6.3
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -1/3
ISO: 400
White balance: Auto

Alfred Forns
07-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Joan Is this from Venice?

No secret to sharpening the image Just make sure it is the last thing you do before saving For this one you can selectively sharpen the birds head using a layer. Easy and fast !!! After the sharpening would suggest to go to edit>fade sharpen then select luminosity !!!

As presented would like more room around the birds, they seem a little tight. If you look at the distance between the wing and right edge then compare to the beak and right edge it seems about the same, you want a little more room up front. Wish the birds head/beak were totally visible and head angle also applies !!! A slight stretch of the wing would have gotten rid of the shadow Time for hammering with the motor drive for alternate positions. Btw you did well with the bg !!!

Processing wise I would go to selective color and increase the neutral and black channel for a little pop !!!

Gail Spitler
07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
The view from my monitor seems sharp, it's the lack of strength of color that shows up. The blacks aren't black enough, for one, especially on the head. The colors lack punch. I am not a good enough photoshopper to say what to do - the little I know suggests levels might need adjustment, maybe more contrast. I'm sure Al suggestions are right on the money.
Gail

Joan Chasan
07-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Yes it is from venice rookery. thanks for the suggestions!

Lance Peters
07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Never had the chance to photograph at a rookery - but going to file AL'S suggestions and comments in the brain for future reference.
Does seem to lack a bit of punch on my screen as well.