PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Stream

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
I took this image last fall in central Wyoming. The leaves were just beginning to turn and the weather was wonderful.

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 28-70mm @ 60mm
90mm (in 35mm film)
1/60 sec, f/10
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
AF mode: AF-S
White balance: AUTO

Really would like your opinions as I find them to be of great help. Thanks in advance.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi Wheeler,
This looks like it has a PP effect applied to it....especially the leaves.........either way, doesn't matter..........the colors of the leaves are excelent......as presented, Iwould crop off above the cental rock.........as it doesn't add to the comp.......and smooth out any other protrusions to help make this a very pleasing fall scenic. Ii would also consider toning down the central bright log....as it overpowers the overall soft/painterly feel of the image.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't agree abou the rock but I will give it a try. I am not sure about your short hand PP?

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi Wheeler,
The easy crop......B4 PS.......is to scroll down and crop the image in the browser.......this will give you an idea of what it will look like. I'm not sure what you mean for the 2nd part..........I'm guessing here........but if it applies to the central log.....you can use the burn tool carefully......or check here; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16313 and scroll down to where Robert discusses how to tone down the perch.

Noel Carboni
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
This has the feeling of a nice 500 piece puzzle. :) The flow of the image follows the flow of the water, and I find myself so drawn in that I'm mentally taking a canoe downriver. I might suggest just using just a hair less of the filter effect at the top.

Nice work!

-Noel

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Roman,
The question I had was in the first sentence you refured to a PP effecr applied to the image and I don't know what you are refering to. Can you help me out. Thanks for the suggestions and I will repost the revised image tomorrow.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Noel,
Thank you for your thoughts. I am not sure whether looking like a 500 piece pizzle is good or bad, but I will take it as a complement and I do agree with you. Thanks again.

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Wheeler,
Don't know how I didn't figure it out??? Sorry.
To me the leaves looked like either a water filter or illustration effect was used on the leaves.......and I didn't mean that in a negative........I love the look there. So if none was applied you captured the leaves very well.........if some effect was applied...........it was still very well done. Just wanted to know if any technique was applied to the leaves to achieve the result.

Noel Carboni
07-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I meant it in a very good way. :)

-Noel

David Kennedy
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I am not sure about your short hand PP?

I believe that's Roman's shorthand for Post-Processing.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Yes a version of the 'orton' technique was used on the image. I didn't personally apply it, but I was very happy with the result. The person that did it for me explained how it was done so I will try it myself next time. I should have known the PP means Post Processing. I am including a repost of the image cropped as Roman suggested. Thanks again for your help.

PS I think i don't like the cropped version as well as the original.

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Wheeler,
Here goes what I did.........& I'm OK if you like the original better.......you have to always satisfy yourself first! I wound up cropping about 1/2 way through the rock...........and then cloning/patch tool/healing brush out any protrusions into the frame and smoothing out the water. There was a bright line in the trees on the left that I also got. I toned down the brighter branch on the waterline right..........and the central log. Lastly........as i was worried about loss of color on the 2nd round of compression.........hit it with a local contrast enhancement in Unsharp mask> amount 20.......Radius 53.5..........threshold 0. This pops the fall clors more...........but may be over the top for you as you may have been looking for more subdued colors. Either way........it gives you an idea for future endeavours.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Roman,
Thanks for the Ideas. I like your version alot, but I must say I like the original the best, but some of your corrections could have made the original better. Thank you again for your imput as it is quite helpful.

Mac

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Mac,

I like the rock in the FG. I would suggest cloning out are the errant grasses in the immediate FG. They grab the viewer's eye and are a distraction. I feel the rock is a nice FG balance to the image. In the field, I slight more right and or up may have gotten the grasses out of the image all together.