PDA

View Full Version : Osprey with meal

Beth Goffe
07-23-2008, 06:44 AM
Taken at Oceanside Marine Nature Study Area on Long Island this past weekend, this osprey was on its way back to the nest with dinner for its three young and spouse. :D Oceanside's another of those tough places because it's open only between 9 and 5 so you usually have to deal with harsh light. There was a separate contingent of Central Park bird photographers there as well, looking for a clapper rail and its chicks; I need to ask if the staff would consider a special early open or late close for photographers. There's a lot of beautiful green marsh grass which would be a great background in the right kind of light for lower-flying birds.

400f5.6, 1/1600s, f/7.1, EC +1, ISO 400

Axel Hildebrandt
07-23-2008, 06:53 AM
I like the eye contact, exposure and the calling pose is a big plus. I'm wondering if the head is very nutritious and nothing chicks are interested in. Might be a question for the behavior forum. Thanks for sharing!

Jim Fenton
07-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Definetly harsh light (don't these places understand light?) and the birds head shows it.

The open beak would have been better if the openess weren't hidden against the bird itself.

The wing tips, especially the right side show vestiges of CA which can be removed during processing in many cases.

When I worked for NH Fish and Game way back when, the theory as to why the male Osprey's always consume the head was two fold:

A) Thats the first part they got to :)

B) The rear portion conatining all of the organs provided a much higher nutrient value to females developing eggs and to chicks for growth.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-23-2008, 07:24 AM
When I worked for NH Fish and Game way back when, the theory as to why the male Osprey's always consume the head was two fold:

A) Thats the first part they got to :)

B) The rear portion conatining all of the organs provided a much higher nutrient value to females developing eggs and to chicks for growth.

Very interesting. Thanks, Jim!

Daniel Cadieux
07-23-2008, 11:12 AM
As mentioned the harsh isn't ideal. Perhaps some selective shapening of the face would be good here. Interesting theories shared by Jim...does make sense :-)

Arthur Morris
07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Nicely done; looks a tad light overall. Good luck with the hours request; sometimes offering to donate image can grease the skids...

Beth Goffe
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks, all, for the comments and suggestions! I'll give them a try. Artie, thanks also for the suggestion about the donation. It is definitely worth a shot.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi Beth,
considering the light......very well captured. Maybe a bit of fence hopping is in order next time out (or beach walking.which is legal) as for the head........maybe it's as simple as........salt water fish have teeth.......still alive when caught.......preferable to remove the part that can do the most damage??......just a guess.