PDA

View Full Version : Closing Time

Ed Vatza
07-23-2008, 06:16 AM
This image was made over the weekend at Jacobsburg State Park (PA). As I walked through the meadows, I was drawn to this particular Evening Primrose for several reasons. First, I really like the early morning light which was streaming in from the left rear. The sidelighting really attracted me. Then there was the position of the closing petals. The slower closing petals to the front of the image allowed a look into the flower and at the stamens and pistel so I really liked that view. Third, I loved the shimmer of the morning mountain dew in the light on the yellow petals. While I often tend to like to darken my images (I like them that way), I actually went the other way with this one reducing the blacks in LR and generally brightening the image. And it makes me uncomfortable! :confused:

Conditions: sunny, hot and humid

Canon Rebel XT, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Tripod-mounted with Novoflex Focusing Rail (I had the flash attached and made some images with flash but preferred those, like this one, made with just natural light)

1/200 sec at f/22; ISO 800; -1/3 EV

Mike Moats
07-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Hey Ed, nice comp, and the light and details look great. Dew always adds a nice touch to any flower shot.Well done.

Don Lacy
07-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Very nice image, the yellows pop nicely off the green BG and the dew adds some nice texture.

Julie Kenward
07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Ed, are you referring to the lightness of the yellow petals only because the overall image is not what I would classify as "light." I can see where the flower is a bit lighter than what you normally photograph - that it has more of a translucent quality to it.

It's lovely by the way. Very nice details on the petals and the lighting is beautiful.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey Ed,
Lighting was handled very well and as noted above the dew really helps even more. i might be tempted to pump the contrast a tiny bit to make the dew drops stand out even more. Nicely done.

Robert O'Toole
07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi Ed,

Well this is the image that you were not sure about? Whats not to like? I think its great. Nice details and sharpness and the water droplets give the image a great feel.

Be careful with the "blacks" control slider and any other ACR or LR default setting. This slider even on the default can easily clip your shadows. Remember when set all of the info on the histogram to the left side of the slider will be lost.

Robert

Ed Vatza
07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Mike, Don, Julie, Roman and Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. As always, much appreciated. I am really so happy to read that you all enjoyed this image. As I said, there was so much that attracted me to this particular Evening Primrose and to make these particular images. But I did treat it a little differently in PP and I must have gone back and redid it, no lie here, about six times. After each time, I would look at it and still end up feeling a bit uncomfortable. So I would do it over again. The differences were very subtle to say the least as was my discomfort.

Julie, I think I said I lightened/brightened it instead of darkening it which I seem to do a lot. The default "black" setting in LR is "5" and I often will push it higher. This time I went the other direction and took it to "0". So even the background is lighter than I normally do (when I often will take to "10"). But I agree, it isn't light just lighter. :) ;)

The translucency of the yellow especially with the dew drops coming through was one of the things that really attracted me here. I love it!

Robert, your advice regarding the "black" slider (and others) is well taken. I will definitely keep this in mind as I proceed. Thank you.