PDA

View Full Version : Monastary On A Rock

Ed Cordes
07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
This Monastery was one of several we saw and visited in the city of Kalamaka, Greece. This city is North West of Athens about a 2 day drive. It is amazing how they were built a millenium ago in such a precarious location. You get to them by bridge or cable car. supplies are brought in my the Nuns and Monks via rope hoist.

1DMK2 with 24-205 @ 75. Evaluative metering at ISO 100 with f 11 and 1/40. Full frame with some dodging of the BG mountains and sky. Polarizer used.

Thanks for looking. All comments are most welcome.

Fabs Forns
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
That's Meteora!!! A place I always wanted to visit, thanks for making me feel like I'm there :)

Ed Cordes
07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
That's Meteora!!! A place I always wanted to visit, thanks for making me feel like I'm there :)

Fabs, you are correct. I inadvertently referred to the city we were staying in - Kalambaca. Meteora is where the monasteries are. Our group visited 3. Then about 3:30 PM a friend of min and I started out on a hike up a trail that led us 1000 feet up to another one. It was possible to drive to a parking lot and go across a bridge, but that was not as much fun! --- More images to come later in the week.

Thanks for commenting and your feedback.

Cheers,
Ed

Tim Rucci
07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Great job, Ed! A classic shot.

I have one similar, but was not blessed with the clear blue sky that you enjoyed there. The sky was blue, but was also hazy, and the background mountains faded into the haze.

For anyone not aware, the photo shows the Agia Triada Monastery, which was made notable by the filming of a scene in the James Bond movie, 'The Spy Who Loved Me".

Tim Rucci
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Correction: The movie was "For Your Eyes Only", not The Spy Who Loved Me.

Alfred Forns
07-23-2008, 08:18 PM
..... in any way they call it the Bond Monastery !!! Neat place !!! One fantastic place Must see if you go to Greece Not all that far from Athens !!!

Gus Cobos
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Very impressive place...:cool:

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Breathtaking location Ed nicely photographed.

Johannes Glännman
07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I just cant stop woundering how they get up ?

Cheers // johannes

Ed Cordes
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I just cant stop woundering how they get up ?

Cheers // johannes

Thanks for all the replies. Johannes, in the "old days" the monks climbed up and used ropes to bring building material and supplies up. Now there is a cable car. You can see the little blue box just in front of the building - this is the cab of the cable car.

Johannes Glännman
07-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah now I see it :)

It is amazing what peoples did in old days...

Cheers // Johannes