PDA

View Full Version : Preening Great-Blue Heron

Daniel Cadieux
01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
This Great-Blue Heron was so much fun photographing, partly because it was somewhat habituated at being around people (something rare for us as they normally bolt from far away). It hung around for a few weeks and provided some beautiful ops. Although somewhat habituated, a careful approach was still needed to get close...more than once it flushed while I photographed it - only for me to turn around and find out someone else had approached too fast from behind me and causing it to flee.

On this occasion I was alone with it, and it preened for a full 30 minutes in front of me. It was very trusting of my presence...enough for me to slowly stand up and stretch my numb legs and sit back down!:)

Canon Rebel XT + 100-400L @340mm, 1/250, f/8, ISO400, +1 EC, sitting on ground with elbows braced to knees for support. ~90% full-frame, and looks superb printed big:D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/Great-Blue-Heron_7085-01for.jpg

Tim McIntyre
01-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Nice exposure and detail. I wouldn't change a thing
Tim

Doug Brown
01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Like the pose and the sharpness. Perhaps a little too tightly cropped though.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2008, 06:21 AM
I like the pose, details and BG. It is just a bit tight in the frame for my taste.

Lana Hays
01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Daniel
Well done on the exposure and the pose of the heron as well as having the patience to get good images. There's nice detail and color as well. You did a great job of getting a sharp image handholding as well. I like the composition of the image but think it might be just a tad better with a little more room on the top and left. Well done.