PDA

View Full Version : violet-green swallow

Dave Slaughter
07-22-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't see too many of these birds, and to get a shot of one is a treat.
This was taken with a canon Xti, sigma 170-500 lens at 500 mm, 20mm extenson tube,
ISO 800 (should have used less)
1/320
f6.3
Thanks for taking the time to look.

Gail Spitler
07-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Really impressive. From the thumbnail I expected a manmade wire perch; how great to get this species on a natural perch. I think this is a real winner. Personally I might take a tad, but just a tad, off the top and the right, and might fix the eye that on my monitor looks like it is grayish on the upper half.
Congrats
Gail

Lance Peters
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Dave - I like - Nice BG - Nice head turn - looks good.

Looked a little soft on my screen - I added some sharpening to the bird only - also the eye. also touched up the eye so theres only 1 catchlight.

Gus Cobos
07-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Dave,
Excellent composition, good head angle, nice colors and details. I like Lance's repost...well done guys...:cool:

Desmond Chan
07-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Dave,
Excellent composition, good head angle, nice colors and details. I like Lance's repost...well done guys...:cool:

I agree !!

Alfred Forns
07-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Hi Dave Killer pose !!! Do like that little guy a lot !!

I think the point of focus is not on the eye? Doesn't seem to be the sharpest area on the bird. The repost is sharper but over sharpened Would try selecting the eye area only Look at the back feathers of the original and the repost.

Crop wise I do agree with some of the top but would leave the back alone, seems fine. Right side is a mater of taste and could go as is or just a tiny bit off !!! Excellent image !!!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-23-2008, 03:24 AM
Agree with Al!

Arthur Morris
07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Lance's repost looks pretty darned good to me and does not look oversharpened (but I do not hav e avery good eye for critical detail...) Not sure why Lance took some off the back.

I have never seen this species perched... As for the ORIG, I like the COMP and the natural perch. It is a shame that the bird has a patch of messed up or dirty feathers in front of the eye.

Gail Spitler
07-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Lance's repost looks pretty darned good to me and does not look oversharpened (but I do not hav e avery good eye for critical detail...) Not sure why Lance took some off the back.

I have never seen this species perched... As for the ORIG, I like the COMP and the natural perch. It is a shame that the bird has a patch of messed up or dirty feathers in front of the eye.

Art
I think those feathers are quite natural, all violet-greens have them, probably their function relates to insect catching.
Gail ;)

Nonda Surratt
07-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Neat swallow!!! I'm with artie on the sharpness in Lances repost, looks fine here too.

Arthur Morris
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Art I think those feathers are quite natural, all violet-greens have them, probably their function relates to insect catching. Gail ;)

Hi Gail, I am not sure that that is accurate. While this species may have some black feathers in front of the eye, those same feathers here are unkempt and dirty. And that is why I find them distracting.