PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Damsel

Mike Fuhr
07-22-2008, 07:47 PM
These guys are TOUGH to get close to -- I finally had a good opportunity but conditions weren't great. This is the best I was able to get. I like it a lot, I only wish his whole body was in focus...

Nikon D50
Sigma 100-300 at 300mm
F/5
1/500
ISO 400

MIke

Ed Vatza
07-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi Mike,

There is a lot to like about this image. I think the composition is very nice. I like the leaves entering in the way they do. And the background is terrific. The damsel also looks good. I was going to comment about the loss of focus on the body but you already know that. I think the wing also looks good. I don't know if you could milk any more detail out of the black in wing or not. But if you could, that would be great.

Robert O'Toole
07-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Very cool Image Mike. The metallic greens and the super smooth greens in the BG and foliage look great. I am not really a big fan of F32 macro images so the DOF looks fine to me as is.

I would like to see a better looking comp with the perch and subject lower in the frame or just out of the center.

Agree with Ed about wanting to see a little more detail.

Robert

Mike Moats
07-23-2008, 06:17 AM
Hey Mike, I really like the comp and colors in this one. I agree with you about needing a little more DOF on the damsel. Still a nice image.

Mike Fuhr
07-23-2008, 06:24 AM
I like the suggestion of placing the damsel lower in the frame. That will require adding more background (original was in landscape). I'll try that once I figure out how to do it. :)

Don Lacy
07-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Hi Mike these guys are beautiful, I think I little fill flash would have help here to pull some details out of the face and wings.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey Mike,
Possible improvements already mentioned but Don gave a great one........a little fill flash.....even with a pop up.........would have done wonders to the colors and shadows/blacks

Robert O'Toole
07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I like the suggestion of placing the damsel lower in the frame. That will require adding more background (original was in landscape). I'll try that once I figure out how to do it. :)

If you can wait I will include a very useful and new technique to do just that on my new Photoshop CD under development now. I am really trying to get the CD finished by the end of Aug I hope.

If you email me I can place you on my newsletter list.

Robert

Mike Fuhr
07-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I'll be watching for it. Thanks!