PDA

View Full Version : Nubble waves #2

Roman Kurywczak
07-22-2008, 03:29 PM
This may be my favorite angle while photographing Nubble Light. It minimizes the power lines as compared to the previous post. I always tell my clients to walk around and work a subject and I've been using Mike Moat's line.........Megs are free! You need a high tide to achieve the look and sometimes the wave action is too much where the water gets too milky. Doing a number of exposures ensures success as there is no sure way to judge the wave action. Canon Mark 3 with the 28-135mm lens set at 28mm at ISO 100 for 20 seconds at f22. 5 stops of ND filter were used on lighthouse and sky and the Singh Ray Vari ND filter was just backed off a bit from max power.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Noel Carboni
07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Ah, one of my favorite lenses - the 28-135. Well done, Roman. The mysterious, wispy water action, with the rocks disappearing into it as if it were fog... Incredible. The colors and exposure very pleasing indeed. The only thing I find distracting are the powerlines and poles (and cable car?) That last - the cable car (if that's what it is) makes for a little more difficult decision in whether to clone out the lines. Maybe just remove the car as well... Something like this.

One tip: You have some color fringing in the upper portions. I don't know whether you're shooting Raw files and converting using Photoshop Camera Raw, but if you are check the CA correction functions in the converter. They work a treat. There's also a CA correction feature in Photoshop proper under Filter - Distort - Lens Correction.

The exposure levels across your image, which come off very natural but by your description were anything but trivial to capture, are masterfully done. Hats off to you!

-Noel

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi Noel,
Yes that is a cable car to get to the island.......I've photographed this so many times..........I can't picture it without it........even if I agree that it does look better without power lines and the cable car. This will give the others a chance to debate the delimma for themselves!
The color fringing is probably from the Vari ND. I do my conversions in Breezebrowser .........but I'm glad you pointed out the location in PS.

Julie Kenward
07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
It's a beautiful scene either way but with the cable lines it helps pull the eye out of the image and I like that. It's really beautifully done Roman. You da man.

Michael Pancier
07-23-2008, 06:42 PM
were you down on the rocks when you shot this? 5 stops of ND? what time od day did you shoot this?

looks great

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey Michael,
Yes, I was down on the rocks.....5 stops is an approximation......as i had the 3 stop and 2 stop on......but not equal or all the way down...my actual guess..........is 4 stops. This is around 6pm...............2hrs and 15 min. before sunset. at different times of year (winter/fall) the sun has different effects. It was quite bright..........but occasionally peeking in and out of the clouds.

Grady Weed
07-24-2008, 04:39 PM
The foggy effect around the lower left rocks stes this one off. Well done Roman. Well done.

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Nice work Roman. I love the look of the water.