PDA

View Full Version : Daylily in Orange

Sid Overbey
07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I am always amazed by the variety and colors of daylilies. This one just opened up a few days ago. I like the deep orange color.
Nikon D300
Sigma 150-500@380
F/7.1
1/250s
ISO 400
Aperture Mode
EC +00

Thanks for looking and any comments.

Harold Davis
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
nice light and the right amount of orange!!! would crop off the left side. bg looks nice!! great job!

Nonda Surratt
07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Agree wit Mr H 100%..Lovely image Sid!!!!

Now just to pick..there is a bit of a light streak running across the stem just below the flower (streak is running up and down) I would be tempted to remove that little bit.

Sid Overbey
07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks Nonda. I missed that streak, probably a very oof grass blade.

Kent Wilson
07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Question (I don't mean this in a confrontational way, but I'm trying to learn):

It's been suggested to me and others several times that, for example, a flower (bird, whatever) that is "looking" left should be given room in that direction. In this case, why would cropping some from the left improve the image? Perhaps cropping to where "Overbey" begins in Sid's copyright would improve the image? Would cropping to the end of "2008" be too tight? So I guess my question is "How Much?" Other than judging what looks good to the image maker, are there any guidelines?

Harold Davis
07-22-2008, 05:47 PM
good question kent!! i suggested cropping because it's all dead space. it does absolutely nothing for this image. and to answer how much, i would probably go to about the 2 in 2008.

Gus Cobos
07-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi Sid,
I like your flower. The colors are just right and the background makes this one pop. I would like to see more room on top...:cool:

Oscar Zangroniz
07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Sid, great looking flower. I like it as presented. I think that Mr. H's suggestion would make it to tight in the frame. Just my opinion.
Regards,

Alfred Forns
07-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi Kent

We usually want more room in the direction the bird, flower etc is facing It sort of gives room for it to look into Behind we don't give much or at least less room. In birds looking left you want more room form the beak to the edge of the frame than from the butt to the other edge.

The best way to describe this one is with something that Artie calls rule 43 ... nobody gives a rats *** to what's going on behind the bird !!!!! Might want to look in the bird gallery or any other for that matte and you will see. Btw there are exceptions which will work just fine.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-23-2008, 03:07 AM
Would crop as Mr H suggests!

Arthur Morris
07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
I like it a ton, esp. the way the BKGR color goes with the flower. Needs a bit more space on top. I would not even mind a bit more room on the left... Love also the yellow and purple oof flowers in the lrc.