PDA

View Full Version : Poppy

Roman Kurywczak
07-22-2008, 11:09 AM
This was taken near one of the lighthouses on my recently completed tour. I didn't get to do much macro work but this flower was just too dramatic to pass up. Mark 3 with the 180mm Sigma macro, 20mm extension tube and the MT24 twin lights in manual at 1/4 power. ISO 800 at f32 and 1/125 sec. handheld. Cleaned up some pollen or dust on the flower in PP and 90% full frame with slight crop to balance out comp.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
07-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Good to have you back, Roman! This is wonderfully dramatic. The colors are excellent - not overly saturated (maybe a bit on the right side?) Personally, I wouldn't mind just a hint more room on the left side where the purple area meets the frame edge and I wonder if it wouldn't be even more dramatic if you re-oriented it with the purple in the ULC and the LRC's respectively? Just a thought...

Ed Vatza
07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi Roman,

I've been following your tour of Maine (one of my favorite places in the U.S.) through some of the images that you've posted. Very nice.

I really like this image a lot. I like the detail and the combination of colors is captured beautifully. I particularly like the reds and purples which look almost like a painting. I do agree with Julie's comment on the purple on the left side but that doesn't detract from what is an overall excellent image. Very well done in my eyes.

Robert O'Toole
07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Welcome back Roman.

Very nice, the colors and the details all look great. I really enjoy shooting poppies also.

Agree with Julies idea about more room on the left, you beat me to it Julie!

Robert

Steve Maxson
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Roman. A very cool image and some good comments above. Some of the reds along the right side look a bit odd - not sure why. An alternate comp that would also work well, IMO, would be to crop tight (I know how you hate tight crops :) ) on either side, actually cutting into the purple areas. This would emphasize the center of the flower even more while still including some of the reds and purples.

David Steele
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Roman, while I agree with Robert's 'summing-up' I have to add that this is perhaps the most striking flower image I've seen on BPN. Raw power rather than delicate floral beauty!