PDA

View Full Version : How to allow for different colors in different browsers?

Richard Stern
07-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I have noticed that images on the web, including those I post to BPN and elsewhere look more washed out when viewed in Firefox (all versions, currently 3.1) than in Safari (the same), and the Safari versions look more true to the originals on my monitor (I use a Mac). I shoot in Raw, post-process and have everything set, to sRGB, so that all my final jpegs for posting have sRGB. I understand that Firefox is not color managed but Safari is. But if everything that I view is sRGB anyway, why would that make a difference? Should I use just 1 browser to always post images to BPN, and if so, which? (I prefer all the other features of Firefox).

Thanks,

Richard

Maxis Gamez
07-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi Richard,

I use Firefox and IE and I haven't noticed any problems as far as washed out images.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
If there is a big difference between Firefox and Safari then you should try calibrating your monitor. As you said, Firefox is not color-managed (although it is possible to enable it) and calibrating should make images look very similar in both browsers.

Richard Stern
07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi, and thanks for the advice. I have now enabled Color Profiles in Firefox (I didn't know you could do that), and now the colors in the images I have posted look the same as on my monitor. So it does seem to make a difference.

Richard