PDA

View Full Version : Bluefish For Breakfast

Jim Fenton
07-22-2008, 04:59 AM
I had set up at this osprey nest a few weeks back before dawn, hoping to catch the male flying in with fish to feed the two rapidly growing youngsters in the nest.

Rather than fish, dad was bring grass and sticks......not exactly making either mom or the chicks real happy.

Mom jumped from the nest and flew right over my head on her way to the bay. Not flying far out over the water, she hovered for not more than 15 seconds, folder her wings and dove and came up with a squirming snapper blue on the first attempt.

As she flew back directly over me, she was nice enough to re-arrange the squirming fish and tern into the sun for just a moment on her way to feed the hungry youngsters.

Nikon D300, 500 AFS`VR, ISO 500, f 7.1, CW metering, +.7 EV, UniWB preset.

Yes, I could have presented this as a vertical as well.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Great catch both of you. Interesting that the father is more interested in 'interior design'. :) I might try to lighten the far wing.

Arthur Morris
07-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Amazingly well done. Love the way he is holding the fish so sqaure to the frame. That is one big snapper.

The color and texture of the fish looks very strange; did you darken/multipy the fish only??? And yes, some selective SH/H mihg open up the detail on the far wing; be sure to increae the mid-tone contrast to avoid the muddy look.

Fabs Forns
07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Girl power :) Agree with the previous comments and good for you to have the patience to wait for the moment.

Manos Papadomanolakis
07-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Great catch and great eye contact!!!

Doug Brown
07-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Great pose Jim! Almost looks like the osprey is hitching a ride on the back of the fish. Agree with Artie's excellent suggestion. Thanks for posting!

Daniel Cadieux
07-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Ditto the above comments. I like that we can see the spot on the fish where the other talon held on :-)

Jim Fenton
07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I did hit the fish only with a little contrast sharpening...very minor and very close to the original.

Arthur Morris
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Thakns for the info Jim. It is strange; looks like a sandpaper covered snapper blue. All in all, a spectacular capture.

Jim Fenton
07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Are scales :)

Perhaps the sun was just at the correct slightly obtuse enough angle.....other than that, I haven't a clue!

Ramon M. Casares
07-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I love it and I wouldn't crop it vertical at all, just as is, is terrific, the only thing is the whites looks a bit gray. Congratulations!

Paul Leader
07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
The fish is a shad probably a gizzard or american shad and not a bluefish. Bluefish do not have that spot. The photo is great!

Arthur Morris
07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Paul, From what I remember, the shape and proportions are perfect for a baby bluefish. Do you mean the red spot or the black spot behind the gills?

Ed Grella
07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Great shot!!!! It is a Menhaden( AKA Bunker) in her talons.