PDA

View Full Version : Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion, Greece

Tim Rucci
07-22-2008, 02:18 AM
This image was captured atop a cliff overlooking the Agean Sea, on the southeastern tip of Greece about 90 minutes drive from Athens. These ruins are what remain of the second temple to be built on this site, which was completed around 444 BC to Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea. The first temple built here was destroyed in 480 BC by the Persians, while it was still under construction. We visited these ruins in a group, but I slipped away and managed to get some photos before the place was crowded by all the other people.

Photo Details: Canon 1D Mark 2N, Canon 28-135 lens at 28mm, aperture priority 1/800 sec at f14, -1/3 EV, iso 400.

Ed Cordes
07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Tim, it seems like a lot of us have been to Greece lately. I like this image for its classic presentation. You did well in avoiding the other people crowding the scene.

Alfred Forns
07-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Did really well Tim When I made it to the Temple it was crowded A tour bus had just gotten in a few minutes before plus lots of people on their own. The sad part it was the only time I had made it to one of them with really sweet light ... sun was just going down !!!

George DeCamp
07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Nice job Tim! Looking at this makes me wonder how they will prevent these type of structures from falling down in years to come. I am sure they have already worked on that but I am curious as to what they do.

Nice image!

Fabs Forns
07-22-2008, 09:41 PM
A classic, weel portrayed and very appealing :)

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Good job on not getting anyone in the image. Well composed and I like the backlight.