PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended Ground Pods for Beach Shooting?

Jim Fenton
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I do a ton of shorebird shooting and I'd like to check out some type of low ground pod this year.

Reccomendations?

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
you should add - other than the Anderson panning ground pod sold at BAA

jobu design/black widow has just released a new one - the scorpion ($149US) . no posted experience yet
you can check out the spec's at BH photo website : product/419391-REG/Jobu_Design_SGP_SGP_Scorpion_Ground_Pod.html

Fabs Forns
01-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Another vote for the Anderson, Jim, and I place it on a Frisbee so it doesn't get full of sand.

cjhockett
01-11-2008, 01:19 AM
I use a skimmer with a whimberly head or bean bag. It is easy to push around and you can put accessories in the skimmer pan. The trick is to get down on the sand and back up without putting your hand in the sand. good luck.
cj

David Kennedy
01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I would also spring for the Walt Anderson ground pod. The one nit I have about is that the clamp is comes with does not have a captive knob, and was slooooooooow to open/close the jaws of the Arca-style clamp. It bothered me enough to replace the clamp with a different one from Kirk enterprises, but everyone I've mentioned that to thinks I'm crazy. I'm not--I'm just picky :)

James Prudente
01-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I use a Groofwin Pod and put it in a rectangular roasting pan. Very stable, easy to slide on the sand, high enough sides to keep sand, muck and water out. You can mount a gimbal head or ball head or ball head with Sidekick on the Groofwin Pod. The roasting pan has handles on each end and make it easy to manage on the ground or carrying to and from the field.

Jim

Walt Anderson
01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
David and everyone,
Thanks for the support and comments. About a year ago we switched to the newer design Kirk quick release clamp which has both a faster closing action and a captive knob. We are always trying to update our products and appreciate your feedback.

Walt Anderson
Visual Echoes Inc.

David Kennedy
01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
David and everyone,
Thanks for the support and comments. About a year ago we switched to the newer design Kirk quick release clamp which has both a faster closing action and a captive knob. We are always trying to update our products and appreciate your feedback.

Walt Anderson
Visual Echoes Inc.

Walt,
I must have gotten an older one from Artie's inventory as I ordered mine this summer ;)

Great product--I gained even more appreciation for the design while taking it apart to replace the clamp!

David

James Shadle
01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Another vote for the Anderson, Jim, and I place it on a Frisbee so it doesn't get full of sand.

Fabs,
What about the "Shadle Slider"?

James

David Kennedy
01-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Que es un "Shadle slider?"

Jesse Ivan
01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I made a 4" x 8" base out of conduit from Lowes with a flat piece of 4" wide steel as cross member to mount my arca swiss ball head to. totel cost was around $20. i wil try to post some pics of it soon. i also like the idea of useing a frisbee to keep things clean. i have not tried it with a heavy lens yet. it works well with macro and my 70-200 2.8VR + 2x converter.
cheers
jesse

Jesse Ivan
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
the jobu scorpion is on sale at there website for $135 http://www.jobu-design.com/page/page/2593851.htm
or $150 from B&H