PDA

View Full Version : Practice Shot

Bill McCrystyn
07-21-2008, 06:54 PM
D300 70-200VR ISO400 F/4 1/320 EFL300

Sorry, just got a new camera, couldn't resist. This is the first thing I saw. :)

Ed Vatza
07-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Congrats on the new camera, Bill. I like the flower. The color looks good to me. The sharpness looks good for f/4. The background looks nice and creamy - that's what f/4 will do for you. ;) I'm not thrilled with the positioning of the subject flower smack in the middle of the frame. Since you already have the tips of the leaves on the right clipped. I would crop in more from that side effectively moving the flower to the right. I think that would give you a stronger composition here. I also find the bright spot in the LL just a tad distracting.

Look forward to see a lot more from you and your new camera.

Bill McCrystyn
07-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks Ed, It was a quickie and of course your right. I should have taken more time with it. I appreciate your critique. I think the softness comes less from f/4 and probably more from having the camera set on instant refocus and continuous servo rather than single lock AF and it allowed the AF to hunt as I pulled the trigger. This thing is so much faster than my Canon.

The dark side is looking brighter everyday. :)

Robert O'Toole
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Bill,

Congrats on the D300, If you need any help with setting PM me for some hints.

The image is nice, I don't mind the softish look at all, I actually like it. I agree with Ed on his suggestion on moving the blooms to the right.

I use the back AF-on button for just this kind of situation. With front button AF you have to cross your fingers when it comes to focus. With rear AF-on, you set it in continuous (servo) AF, lift your thumb to lock the focus, and fire away. The focus will not change.

Robert

Julie Kenward
07-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I totally agree with Ed's critique. Push it a bit to the right and tone down that LLC. Quite nice for the first thing you stumbled upon! Keep 'em coming!!!

Bill McCrystyn
07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Perfect - Robert, you are the man. I had it assigned to DOF - duh. That was a wasted action. Never thought to make it something useful :) This way your also ready when they fly, back to continuos servo without the front switch change. Cool. Thanks man!

Fabs Forns
07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Congrats on your new toy, Bill, you'll get a lot of joy out of it :)

Agree on the comments and looking forward to more from that combo!!!

Mike Moats
07-23-2008, 06:09 AM
Hey Bill, congrats on the new 300, and hope to see more macro stuff from you. Image looks good but agree on cropping on the right. Have fun.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Bill,
Congrats on the new camera. I want to comment on the lighting of the center flower and the one above it.......I like it!!..... but it had way to many distracting elements copositionally.......probably due to excitement! I took your original and cleaned it up and added canvas..........just to show you that your original vision wasn't that off.......so that next time in the field with a bit more work you may be able to achieve a cleaner version of your original vision.

Bill McCrystyn
07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Thank you very much Roman. As Artie would say, a very good repost! I wish I could take take credit for the exposure but I believe Active-D lighting set to normal had a lot to do with it, a big bonus with this camera. Your clean-up is perfect and I apprciate the time you took to show me how to get it right. Thanks - Bill