PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk

Anita Rakestraw
07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
This was taken in early evening golden light which I usually like to leave as is; but not sure on this one, what do you think? Also, not sure if it's sharp enough or if the eye is visible enough? Anything else?? CC welcome!

7-20-08, 8:11 p.m.
1DMkIII, 500mm lens @1000, BLUBB
ISO 400, 1/800, f/8, EV +.9 in conversion
Crop, selective lightening, USM

I think it's interesting about these birds that they have such weak feet/legs that they cannot walk but either have to fly or perch/rest on their bellies all the time.

Lana Hays
07-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Anita
I think these birds are fascinating........but have only seen them in images. Their eyes are "droopy" looking and with the angle probably hard to get it any better. I like the diagonal and simplicity......sharpness looks good. I guess if I'd wish for anything it would be for a less steep angle. Well done.

Fabs Forns
07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
I like these birds too, never seen them before until last month, when I saw them in fight and fell in love with their funny face. Very interesting read, thanks for sharing :)

Anita Rakestraw
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks, Lana and Fabs. They do have a funny face, and such tiny beaks too! Agree the angle isn't great.

Grady Weed
07-24-2008, 10:09 AM
As you know the angle is taking away from this unique opportunity. Having never seen one or heard one, I cant offer any suggestions to get a better one. Was this a big crop? It appears to have some minor noise.

Anita Rakestraw
07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi, Grady, thanks for stopping. Is the noise just in the sky, or all over - I can see some in the sky I think? Don't always notice it on my monitor....): Yes, this bird was up high on a utility wire; sometimes they'll be lower, on a fence....one of these days, I'll get a better image. Thanks again!

Grady Weed
07-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I can see it in the sky but not in the bird. But I am old and blind. :eek: