PDA

View Full Version : BIrd photography hot spots in FL?

Ramon M. Casares
07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi there, I've been here for almost two weeks now I I am leaving in about 10 days, would you be so kind to point out some good places near Key Biscayne or so, my dream would be to get the chance to photograph Ospreys, but any shore and/or wading birds will do as most of them are new to me :) Thanks in advance!!!

Harold Davis
07-21-2008, 05:49 PM
hi ramon. i understand that long key rookery in broward county is pretty active right now. never been there, but some guys went this weekend and said it was good. only problem is doesnt open til like 7:30am. as far as ospreys go, flamingo, in everglades NP, is usually full of them! not sure about right now though. seems we are bird challenged at the moment.

hopefully some more guys will chime in and help out. would be interesting to hear what kind of action is at tigertail beach right now on marco island.

good luck!!

Maxis Gamez
07-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi Ramon,

I'm sending you a PM.

Ramon M. Casares
07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Got it Maxis, thanks! And thanks to you too Harold, you're very helpfull!

Judd Patterson
07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Ramon, so where have you gone so far? Have you made it up to Green Cay, Wakodahatchee, and Loxahatchee (approx. 1 hour North of Key Biscayne)? Osprey are sometimes seen in those areas, but the views usually aren't ideal. Flamingo in Everglades is a great spot for Osprey, but they are done nesting right now and they have spread out (and mosquitoes are terrible). I'll try to come up with some other ideas for you, but it is much more difficult during the wet season in Miami. Good luck on those last 10 day!

Ramon M. Casares
07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi Judd, thanks for your answer, I will be going to Green Cay Wakodahatchee next week, and this saturday I'll be gonig to Loxahatchee, I wanted to go to Flamingo in Evereglades but as there is not much going on there right know and as it is a long trip, I'll have to leave that for my next visit. If hyou come up with any other places let me know! I found a great place in Key Biscayne but I need a kayak or a litltle boat to get close to the birds, and I don't know anybody from whom I could borrow one so...
Well, I'll keep you posted on my "adventures" here :)

Judd Patterson
07-24-2008, 01:27 AM
I have an idea for obtaining a kayak. I've never tried it, but you should be able to rent a kayak from the county at Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne: http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/parks/crandon_beach.asp

They say to check the North concession at Crandon Beach.

Ramon M. Casares
07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh Great! I'll go today to ask a bit more! This was really helpfull Judd! I apreciate you taking the time to look this up for me!

Sebastian Erras
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi Ramon,

i just finished my 2 weeks in South Florida.
And i saw a lot of Ospreys a long my trip.
I had some In Flamingo near the parking area and there were also vultures, but that was it soo far.
I didn't make it to Green Cay.
But the Key Area was also really good, especially, Bahia Honda State Park.
If you are in the key area check also No Name Key for the Key Deers
Have fun in Florida