PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily 1

Michael Pancier
07-21-2008, 07:41 AM
went to fairchild tropical gardens and played around with water lily shots.

40d+Sigma 150mm 2.8 Macro; f/11; 1/400; ISO 400

darkened the blacks

Julie Kenward
07-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Michael, I'm not sure I love the composition on this one...it's very centered and yet the ends of some of the petals are cut off. I'd either back off and place it on the right third or close in more and really feature the center and inner petals.

Robert O'Toole
07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I like the dramatic lighting and the sharpness and DOF are great.

I do agree with Julie, I would rather see a closer crop of the center or a more room around the lily.

Robert

Gus Cobos
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Michael,
You can go the route that Robert suggested, which by the way would work very nicely; or the other option, with a little bit of work in PS; would be to keep the flower in the center of frame and add canvas on both the left and right sides of the frame to give your subject more breathing room. In addition you woud add canvas on the top about 1/4 and re-create the top petals. also on the bottom I would clone out the two odd ball petals and fill it with more of the black backgroung. This way the flower is nice and even and balances nicely at the bottom...:cool: I would aslo desaturate the yellows in the center, they are a tad on the hot side for my taste..:cool:

Ed Vatza
07-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Michael,

I've done this several times in my desire to fill the frame. And I have nipped off the tips. I still don't think it looks bad but I have to agree that moving in farther to focus on just the center and fill the frame that way looks better. And so does moving out to give the flower more room. 'Nuf of that. FWIW, I also find that heavy shadow on the bottom petal distracting. Otherwise, I think the color looks good and the image sharp.

Mike Moats
07-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Hey Michael, I like the colors, light, and details, but agree with others it needs a tighter crop.

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey Michael,
I've photographed that lilly and it is quite the stunning one. I do agree with the above suggestions........fortunately for you it's close to home!