PDA

View Full Version : Taking lunch.

Ian McHenry
01-10-2008, 06:24 PM
One of my favourite challenges is trying for action shots of the Sumatran Tigers at feeding time at Orana Park in Christchurch, New Zealand,
Details: Pentax K10D with Tamron 70-300 @ 220mm.
ISO 800.
Aperture Priority 1/750 sec @ F5.6.
Spot metered.
Cropped sides of image only.
Appears should have shot @ 180 mm to give more room to catch action.
High Speed continuous autofocus.
Comments welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Ian McHenry

Arthur Morris
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
The image is sharp and well exposed. I could do without the fence and the chicken. On the rare ocassion that I photograph in zoos, I use long focal lengths and try to isolate the animal and get rid of the zoo. Yes to the wider zoom that would have included the feet.

later and love, artie
ps: Does this belong in Hand of Man?

Robert Smith
01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Sub-forum description specifically says that hand-of-man is allowed in this sub-forum, so I'd say it is okay here.

Great detail on this big cat! And as you noted, a little more room (for the virtual feet) would have helped. I too would rather not see the fence. I bet the activity at feeding time is something to see!

Ian McHenry
01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Artie and Robert.
I have noticed there is some discomfort in tigers with chook shots so here is a similar earlier shot, minus chicken and background fence.
Ian McHenry

Jasper Doest
01-14-2008, 05:45 AM
While you've captured the action nicely on both images I have to say that it is a pity that you clipped the paws in the first photograph, and the tail in the second. Although it is pretty easy to get close to wildlife in a zoo, it is not the easiest place to photograph, as there are a lot of unnatural elements to take care of. While close portraints can work very well in a zoo, I doubt if this action photography really works well on this location. The fence, the chicken and vegetation do not look very natural to a tigers environment.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-15-2008, 12:56 AM
I don't know why images with hand of man is allowed in wildlife forum. They are no more wild, once they are caged. My 2 cents