PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater Falls in flood

ChasMcRae
07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Picture of Blackwater Falls, West Virginia in Sept. after exceptionally wet period. Water tinged yellow brown from dirt erosion. Thundering water creating wind vibrating bare tree at base(tree no longer there).

Scanned image from slide-wet Canon IV body-wet Canon 100-400 lens on wet tripod with wet photographer.
Sticks cloned in right lower corner.

Chas.

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Well done Charles. I like how the two converging falls lead right to the tree. A great composition. I think I would like to see a bit more contrast in the image. I have to go out, but will get back a try something out on it. If you beat me too it, please post to this thread with the repost if you would like.

Again, nicely composed - about the only thing I would recommend there would be a bit more on the left so the large rock was not touching the edge. Not much as the converging falls on the right makes a good comp and you don't want them in the center.

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Charles,
I agree with Robert all the way.....very nicely composed. If you don't have the room near the lower rock.......I would recommend removing a bit (if you are comfortable with that sort of thing) of the rock to give it some room.

Bruce Murden
07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I really like this image, and I agree with Robert on the big points. Great placement of the tree and falls and rock to give the image a lot of dynamic motion, but it will help to rescue the rock from the edge. I enjoy the dreamy quality, but even so I think you can have more contrast so the image doesn't have too flat a feel to it.

Here is one way of adding to the contrast. I used LR on your file, adding a bit of highlight recovery, Clarity, contrast, and curves adjustment. But it's just my way of interpreting this small jpg of your image for more contrast (and I see on my preview that it, too, looks a shade too dark, but I know that can be a monitor and browser issue). I think this scene would also lend itself well to a BW conversion (I've done that successfully on certain images originally shot on chrome).

I also enjoyed your equipment description. It helps to get a feel for what you went through to get the image. Do you have even approximate settings from your original? What did you choose for f-stop, exposure, and film? And did you ahve a dry change of clothes?:D These types of extras can help others learn how to capture certain moods and images while shooting.

Thanks for posting and we look forward to many more from you!

Gayle Clement
07-20-2008, 08:57 PM
A beautiful, powerful image. That tree looks so fragile at the base.

I like the extra bit of punch that Bruce added.

ChasMcRae
07-20-2008, 09:31 PM
The contrasty view appeals to me as a photographer, but a Chinese friend bought the print with the misty, flatter look. This is one of a few pics I have that would look good as a B&W. Not much experience in adding pixels to edge of pic, although a friend recently showed me how to add image on bird pics where the bird tail was close to the edge. Of course I promptly forgot all the steps(Any instruction on BPN ?).
Thanks for input.
Chas.

Roman Kurywczak
07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Charles,
I just used the clone stamp and patch tool to eliminate the side of the rock touching the edge of the frame. I could go with either version of contrast and didn't want to expand the canvas a I liked the proportions in the image.

Noel Carboni
07-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Masterful use of the little tree as a focal point, and the motion-blurring of the branches only adds to the connection between the falls and the tree. Gotta love those colors!!

-Noel

Kaushik Balakumar
07-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Charles,
Beautifully composed - very artistic image.
Liked Roman's re-post.