PDA

View Full Version : Side Lighting

Mike Moats
07-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I probably wouldn't have shot this in normal lighting but the side light from the early morning sun made it a more interesting comp. Some may not like the hot spots in the spikes, but I thought it showed the intensity in of the light.

Back from the Ann Arbor Art Fair which had grueling heat and long hours, and sales were slightly down and still good enough for the effort, so I'm back online again.

Fuji S3, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, f/22

Ed Vatza
07-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Welcome back, Mike.

I was playing with some sidelighting this morning myself and like some of the results as I do with what you have done here. I also like the composition. I did something similar with a flowering teasel earlier in the week and wasn't quite sure that it worked. But it does here for you.

Robert O'Toole
07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Mike
I really like the comp and the nice colors. The side lighting really brings out the textures and details and makes the image look almost as sharp as I am sure it was in real life. I shadowless image of the same cactus for comparison would be great for teaching.

Robert

Julie Kenward
07-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I am not a big fan of harsh lighting but I think it works here because the subject seems to call for it. Just for kicks, I downloaded your image and ran it through an illustration action and it popped even more, bringing a true pop art look to the image. :D