PDA

View Full Version : The Headlight

Grady Weed
07-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 7/20/2008 05:53:12, Shutter Speed 0.8Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1 1/3, with 3 stop GND Filter hard edge, ISO 100, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length: 28.0 mm. Gitzo tripod with Bogen Ballhead, cable release.

We meet Roman at the headlight to shoot the sunrise. And yes, I used my new GND filter! I used PS 6 to change levels, contrast and color balance, all minor changes at that. I hope you like it. Let me know please.

Gayle Clement
07-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I have to see this lighthouse! I love the composition and the soft pink light. The photo looks as though it needs just a bit of sharpening and a boost in the mid-tones.

Gayle Clement
07-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Grady,
I hope you don't mind. I loved this photo and wanted to try a couple of things. I moved the mid-point a bit, made a new 50% grey layer and painted the rocks and lighthouse in a bit lighter, and used a very small amount of a warming filter.
Gayle

Grady Weed
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Of course I don't mind! The lighter tones is actually what I wanted, just did not know how to get them. The filter thing is new to me, used it the first time with Roman. He has a real passion for photography, it shows. I will rework this in PS. Thanks for the efforts Gayle.

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Grady,

I like what Gayle did with the repost. I would try a bit more sharpening on the FG rocks on the lower right. Also, a bit more room on the right for the sun would strengthen the image IMO. I usually place the sun on the ROT vertical line but will also do it on the right-most quad-lateral line (Rule of Fourths - an idea I got from Artie in bird photography).

I like the intense sun look of this image. You are building up quite the theme here.

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey Grady,
It was very nice meeting you and your wife this morning! I like what Gayle did with the lightening of the FG......but I may go back a bit. You captured the soft pinks of the sky very well as it didn't get that intense...but it appears the filter did it's job! That's why I love that thing. Just got home.........so I need to sleep!

Noel Carboni
07-22-2008, 10:03 PM
My first thought when I saw the thumbnail for this was that I wasn't going to like the bright sky, but the transition into brilliance is so subtle, so smooth, as to turn my thoughts completely around. I like it! The sun seems absolutely brilliant in the image, which evokes the same good feeling as standing outside and soaking up a bright sky in person.

The rework is overdone a bit, but very nicely gets the point across that the eye/brain craves just a bit more detail in the darker areas. If you do work on it, make sure you do it subtly, as it doesn't need much tweaking.

Heavenly colors. Thanks for sharing this fine shot.

-Noel