PDA

View Full Version : Milky Way in the Woods

Noel Carboni
07-19-2008, 10:28 PM
We camped at a clear spot in the Sawtooth mountains of Idaho, and it was SO dark I could shoot a 4 minute ISO 1600 exposure at f/3.5! This is a wide angle shot through my 10-22 zoom @ 10mm with my Canon 20D pointing straight up.

-Noel

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I like the comp with the trees. Interesting affect with the Milky Way being blurred but I find it a bit disconcerting. It will be interesting to see how others feel. Perhaps it is just me. I will come back tomorrow to see how I feel about it.

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Noel,
I know I've been up since 3 this morning......but it does appear blurry on my monitor and I also find this distracting. Cool placement of the trees in the corner and angle........just wish it was hsarp.

Noel Carboni
07-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks, guys. You're right; the turning of the Earth blurred the stars enough in the 4 minute exposure that they made trails, even at 10mm.

To get both sharp stars and trees I'll have to put my camera on a small motorized mount that I have, and digitally combine the tracked exposure with tree silhouettes.

-Noel

Grady Weed
07-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Good self critique Noel. Way too blurry here. You last milky way image was a killer. A very high standard to follow now. :)

Judd Patterson
07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Noel, a view of the Milky Way like this always takes my breath away...love it! On this one I wonder how it would look with an even longer exposure? Maybe a timer release to capture multiple 4 minute exposure to stack together into one big whirl of stars between the tree silhouettes. Just an idea on another interpretation of this fine scene!