PDA

View Full Version : With arms wide open...

Daniel Cadieux
07-19-2008, 08:54 PM
...the Yellow Crab Spider waits patiently to ambush the next unsuspecting victim. This fellow was quite cooperative, but the bright yellows combined with the sun was not. Took many exposures and adjusted via histogram check. I also desaturated good bit in Photoshop. I know some like a deeper DOF, but I liked the far legs matching the curves, colour and OOFness of the petals :-)

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 @ 67mm + 36mm Kenko extention tube, 1/400s., f/9, ISO 400, handheld (elbows on one knee and rocking back and forth slowly to achieve proper critical focus)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_YellowCrabSpider_6503-01.jpg

Anita Rakestraw
07-20-2008, 03:36 AM
I like this too, Daniel, and your justification for the dof suits me fine! This is another good example of great camouflage, altho I suppose this spider chooses flowers and locations of other colors as well. Nice comp!

Julie Kenward
07-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Amazing image Daniel! I, too, love your reasoning for DOF and I agree - I think you made the right choice. The head and front legs are nicely in focus and he perfectly matches his environment - well done!

Ed Vatza
07-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi Dan,

Its been a while since our paths have crossed. Hope all is well with you.

This is a very interesting image with the matched color between the spider and the flower. Usually I look for contrast but in this case the yellow on yellow works well and the sharpness of the spider plays well against the softness of the flower petals. Nice.

Robert O'Toole
07-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice Daniel,

I like the curves in the BG and the narrow DOF.
I know what you mean about the sun+ yellows, you should carry a diffuser, I have a small one that fits in your pocket and pops open to 12 inch or so.

Robert

Kaushik Balakumar
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
What a camouflage !
From the thumbnail, I thought it to be a flower alone.
Liked this DOF.