PDA

View Full Version : Microbiology

Christopher Hill
07-19-2008, 04:49 PM
I was playing around with one of the microscopes at work and found an adapter that I could hook a camera to. These were some kidney cells that I looked at in two different wavelengths then merged the resulting images in Photoshop.

Canon EOS 1Ds III
Olympus microscope
0.6 seconds each image

Ed Vatza
07-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Actually I like it... but then I work in a lab! :D

Actually it works very well (in my mind) as an abstract. The color is great. The detail is very sharp. It has excellent depth. A real winner... as long as you don't go running around telling everyone that they are kidney cells.

Actually, I work in marketing in a lab and I am always after our pathologists to provide images like this for brochures that we do.

Julie Kenward
07-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I love it, too. Think it might look better as a vertical instead of a horizontal but no biggie. I'm with Ed, though...it looks cooler when you don't know what it is. :D:eek::D

Anita Rakestraw
07-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Very cool indeed - great macro! Is this the actual color or is there a stain involved? Oh, you said something about wavelengths - I assume that's responsible for the colors?? Thanks for posting, very interesting!

Mike Moats
07-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey Chris, a very cool abstract image. Even kidney cells can be art. I would lose the negative black space and crop tight into a vertical. Great shot.

Robert O'Toole
07-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Chris,

Very cool. This reminds me of a hubble image of a nebula minus all the extra stars and bodies...

Since all the good points have already been mentioned, do you follow the annual Nikon microscope contest?

Robert

Christopher Hill
07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the great comments everyone!
Maybe I can think up an abstract name that doesn't hint at the cells' origins (I could use some help here as I've come up blank so far - ah - perhaps the Renal Nebulae? Or maybe not...

Robert - I'd heard of the Nikon microscope contest, but until you mentioned it, never conceved of the idea of entering it (especially since this was the first time I've gotten to play with a "real" microscope). Thanks for the nudge - I'll check it out.

Robert O'Toole
07-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Here is link Christopher, You should give it a go.

Everyone should give it a look.

http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/

Robert