PDA

View Full Version : New Lenses Images

Maurice Allen
07-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Just got my new 100-400L this was a nice image of an osprey that cooperated with me for a little while.

Canon 40D, 100-400L, ISO 400, F8 @ 1/1000, w/Beamer TTL -1

Doug Brown
07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Nice underwing detail Maurice! Whites do look a little hot, and I might give it another round of sharpening. Also I would use a tighter crop with the bird in the left of the frame. Thanks for posting, and congrats on getting a new lens!

Maurice Allen
07-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the help, took your advise and did a quick crop and sharpen. Let me know if this is better. Thanks, Maurice

Doug Brown
07-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Much better on the repost. I might consider a vertical composition here. When you repost, it's always best to post it in a new message in the same thread rather than deleting the original photo. It makes it easier for people to follow the thread, and it's a better learning experience for everyone on BPN.

Arthur Morris
07-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Good advice on reposting by Doug. Good that you got the whole bird in the frame. After that, there are lots of problems. The whites of the near underwing are way over-exposed and detail-less. How did you determine your exposure?

The face is not sharp. The bird's far wing is angled away from you; try to make images of birds in flight when they are directly overhead and when their wings are flat and parallel to the imaging sensor.

Maurice Allen
07-19-2008, 08:40 PM
I got my exposure from +1 stop off the sky apx 45 degrees.

Oscar Zangroniz
07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Good capture of the osprey, like the BG. Whites do look a bit burned.
Enjoy your new lens Maurice.
Congrats

Arthur Morris
07-20-2008, 05:39 AM
I got my exposure from +1 stop off the sky apx 45 degrees.

With a MIII, that would have been perfect. With a 40D and the sun out, +1/3 would be about right, or even 0 if the sky is really blue. What you need to learn to do is to make one image in a given situation, check to see that there are no flashing highlights, and then check your histogram to make sure that there is at least some data in the fifth box. If you have flashing highlights, you need to subtract light (or add less). If there is no data in the fifth box, then you need to add light (or subtract less).

I would strongly recommend getting a copy of ABP II (on CD only) and checking out the sectiion called "Exposure Simpliified." In addition, there are another 910 pages that would also hep you improve.

Maurice Allen
07-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Artie thanks for the good info, I have been reading your book but sometimes make a mistake in the heat of battle. Getting better wih each outing. Thanks again for all the good advise and APB II has been a great help. Maurice

Arthur Morris
07-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey Maurice, YAW; keep studying and your images will improve by leaps and bounds. For folks who apply themselves, digital can make learning way easier than film ever did.