PDA

View Full Version : Darwinian Succulents

Amy DeStefanis
07-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Opuntia cactua and Sesuvium on South Plaza island in the Galapagos. The Cacti are the mainstay of the land iguanas. In certain times of the year, the Sesuvium blooms red and orange, creating a surreal carpet of rust contrasting with the green cacti. Unfortunately, they weren't blooming when we were there, but they still make for a striking photo, I thought.

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Amy,

Well done on the composition. I like how you have them diagonal to each other without a lot of overlap. Diagonals that lead the viewers eye into the image are strong compositional elements. I also like the FG with the low grasses and rocks - it is interested without overpowering the cacti.

An alternative here would have been to walk left and perhaps gotten more separation between the cacti. Sometimes it works and sometimes not but walk around to look for alternative compositions.

Please post the technical specs next time (camera, lens, exposure, ISO, etc.). I helps us critique. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Amy DeStefanis
07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks Robert,
Unfortunately, we were restricted to a specific trail, and didn't have the freedom to do much roaming.

Shooting info:
Nikon D80
ISO: 800 (don't ask)
70-300 VR lens @ 70
1/1600 sec @ f9

Amy D.

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Amy,
i agree with Robert on the seperation of the cacti..........I will also add that, judging by the shadows this was taken pretty close to mid day and that is usually not the best time of day. Much earlier or later in the day would bring out more depth in the cacti.

Amy DeStefanis
07-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks Roman,

Unfortunately, we were on a time schedule dictated by the tour we were on. Access to the parks we visited is pretty strict, and controlled by the guide/ranger who takes the group there. Time tables, paths to stay on.... Sigh. But the point is taken. Maybe a 3 stop Grad ND Filter would have been the thing.... :D

Roman Kurywczak
07-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi Amy,
Sorry I'm a little late in responding............the 3 stop grad ND would only work in situations where the contrast betweeen the sky and FG (or vice versa in rare insances)............is 2 full stops or greater. In this case the tonal range looks even throughout. Easy way to do this is meter the sky.......then the FG. Check the difference.......if 2 stops or greater.........expose for the FG........hold filter in front of lens (if only 2 stops.......slightly higher than the top of lens........more than 2.......darkest area near top of lens). This should make the tonal range even and yield a more pleasing result.
PS Just noticed........OK........you chose ISO 800 to hand hold......instead of 1/1600 at f 9........1/500 at f16 or 1/250 at f22would have been better for more DOF......this is usually preferable in landscapes.