PDA

View Full Version : Agamemnon's Tomb - Greece

Ed Cordes
07-18-2008, 09:57 PM
This is another image from our recent Greece trip. It is a bit non traditional - those will come later.

Agamamnon was the king who conquered Troy - Trojan Horse and all. We had the opportunity to visit his city and tomb. It is amazing that 1500-1600 BC the people knew how to build a dome like this. It is also interesting that they constructed a triangle of empty space above the lintel of openings to distribute the weight onto the columns of an opening to avoid breaking the lintel.

In this image my wife, Gail, is pointing to the lintel and triangle. I love the way the light comes through the entrance and illuminates the dome's interior with a soft glow.

1DMK2 with 17-40 @ 17. Evaluative metering at ISO 1000 with 1.80 and f5.6 hand held. Full frame with Noise Ninja and levels applied. I burned some of the entrance to tone down the harsh light coming in.

Thanks for looking. All comments most welcome.

Dan Brown
07-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Very well handled Ed! I really like the scale that your wife provides. I like it as is. Dan Brown

Alfred Forns
07-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Missed that site Ed Which Island? Great perspective !!!

Ed Cordes
07-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the comment Al. This site is actually on the mainland. It is in Mikines which is South East of Athens in the Peloponissos area. There is a gulf between Athens and this area. We were not scheduled to go there, but our small 160 foot ship would not do very well in the force 7 winds (up to 13 foot waves) predicted during our last 2 days of island touring. Our Captain decided to cruise into the safety of the gulf and give us the opportunity to visit this great site. All 24 of us in the tour were very pleased with the change and completely enjoyed the site. BTW, our sister ship spent 2 days tied up in Naxos due to the weather while we were enjoying Mikines.:eek:

George DeCamp
07-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Putting your wife in there really puts this one in perspective, really good job and well thought out!!!

Julie Kenward
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Very nice image! What a woonderful experience you must have had in Greece.

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I like the composition and including the person adds scale. This would be a great HDR subject.