PDA

View Full Version : Shalog :-)

Ivan Miksik
01-10-2008, 03:32 PM
It looks like Shalog from the "Lord of the Ring", isn't it?
Labyrith spider (Agelena labyrinthica)

Canon EOS 350D, Sigma 400/5.6 APO macro tele HSM
ISO=400, f=6.3, 1/250s

Arthur Morris
01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
It looks like Shalog from the "Lord of the Ring", isn't it?
Labyrith spider (Agelena labyrinthica)

Canon EOS 350D, Sigma 400/5.6 APO macro tele HSM
ISO=400, f=6.3, 1/250s

I am not familiar with the book. I would have to rate this one as a good try, but it does not work for me. The shadows on the web, especially the dark ones on the right, break up the symmetry of the circular web and leave me confused.

later and love,

artie

Robert Smith
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm a little lost with the Shalog reference too, but it is a cool spider - I didn't read the book or see the movie...

All the darkness (though typical of where the spider chooses to live) doesn't help me see the image. A tighter crop (to say the central 2/3 of the image?) would improve it for me. I'd like a little more detail to show up in the spider itself as well.

I really like your approach to this shot, it just needs a tad more light in the darker areas to pull it off well.

D. Robert Franz
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Love the spotlight on the spider.. I agree with a comments above about the loss of the web in shadow to the right. The circular web around the spider is strong composiitonally. Cropping in tighter may strengthen the comp. even more. By the way I know nothing about Lord of the Rings either.

Judd Patterson
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I think you meant to type "Shelob"! :) Wow, that lighting is cool. The idea is very nice and with some additional experimentation I think you'll really have a great image. As Robert mentioned, a tighter crop showing the spider in the lower-left might be a nice improvement.

Jasper Doest
01-14-2008, 05:32 AM
It certainly works for me....it does have the same atmosphere that your find it the LOTR series. I do agree a tighter crop might add a little more interest to the photograph. The only thing that really bothers me is the black diagonal line going from the bottom right toward the centre of the image....but that might be easy to fix.