PDA

View Full Version : Creek Rapids

Paul Burgess
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi folks!

Been a long time since I posted on here! Here's a shot that I got on Saturday down at a local creek. I was happy to get the water blurred and the log sharp; esp. because I was shooting handheld. IS sure helps!!!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/scripturescapes/SH_0sZYvFbI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/BZsv7WfdPVo/s800/Creek.jpg
Rebal Xt, 24-105mm

As always, please be honest and brutal!

Roman Kurywczak
07-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Hi Paul,
I like the diagonal placement of the rocks but would have preferred the upper boulder to be a bit more in the ROT position. The water flow is pleasant enough but the most distracting and dominant part, the log, is cutting the image that for me......doesn't work compositionally.....it separates the upper diagonal 1/3 of the water and seems to feel out of place with the rest of the flow.

Robert Amoruso
07-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Paul,

I would like to know what shutter speed and aperture you used here. You did well with the HH blur - the log is sharp. I like the still water behind the rocks and the silky flow after they start to cascade over the rocks. That is an interesting perspective.

I agree with Roman that a bit wider view to include the large rock not so close to the edge would be preferred. I also agree that the diagonal log is not working here. Normally, diagonals are good compositional elements in images especially as leading lines to guide someone into the image by here it cuts the image in half and interrupts the viewer's eye as they follow the flow. If it was in the other direction (direction of flow) it would have been more pleasing.

Paul Burgess
07-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the comments and tips!! I appreciate them. The shutter speed and aperture were 1/30 sec. @ f/8.

Thanks again,
Paul