PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake

Robert Smith
01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I was going through cleaning up a hard drive yesterday and found a whole folder of images that I hadn't really looked at (YEAH!!!). I was driving across a private property in southeast Georgia and saw this large eastern diamondback rattlesnake crossing the road and asking to have his picture taken. So of course I had to oblige...

I was able to photograph the rattler for about 45 minutes. He was a very cooperative model during the whole photoshoot. I don't recall him ever rattling his rattles (which isn't uncommon), and he never offered to strike. He would only enter his defensive coil (seen here) when I would take my snake hook and keep him from crawling off into the adjacent briar thicket.

I like the fact that the rattles and eyes are in the same relative plane of focus, and that I caught a tounge flick at full extension. I'm not sure about the white sand reflecting the blue evening sky at the top of the frame, but I didn't crop it out.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed, and thank you for looking.

Nikon D70, Nikkor 70-300 @ 240mm, f/10, 1/500th second, ISO 400, handheld (but with me laying down prone & bracing as well as I could), full frame.

Ivan Miksik
01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I really like structure of skin, it's beautiful! I am not sure with the blue top of image - I probably prefer to crop out it.

Arthur Morris
01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I think this is a wonderful image. You are right about the rattle and the eyes, but my favorite part of the image is the tongue resting on the thickest part of the snake. Way cool. And I love your choice of perspective. Lastly, I am a big fan of framing with oof strips of color so I would definitely leave the blue sand. It complements the bllue light on the top of the head. I guess you could say that I like everything about this one <smile>

later and love, artie

Kenn Christensen
01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi Robert...
that is so cooooool!... Ive had but a couple of chances with rattlers.. both prarie rattlesnakes.. one was torpid like the one you describe here... onlookers who saw me shooting him said.. are you sure he is alive?... I asked them if they would like to "pet" him.. they declined.. so I guess they DID figure he was actually alive.... he just didnt want to move.. which was fine with me... Ive heard that diamond backs can be a lot more aggressive... is that just plain bull? Its funny how often you "hear" things that are not true.... I myself have never met an aggressive snake.. at least one that wasnt completly provoked into aggression..... The first prarie rattler I shot coiled and rattled as soon as I got near.. he was warm from laying in the hot morning sun... the 2nd (and so far last).. was trying to abosrb a few weak late afternoon rays in october... he was laid back to the max....
well.. sorry... I dont have any crit to add.. your shot is great.. I love it... nice work...

Robert Smith
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks, y'all.

Kenn - about the only time I run into an "aggressive" snake that hasn't been provoked is when they are "in the blue" (getting ready to shed) when they can't see too well. They seem to be much more easily offended then... (Good luck catching up to more prairie rattlers.... I got really lucky up in the Pawnee National Grasslands last year and saw 3 different ones in 3 days!).

D. Robert Franz
01-10-2008, 08:43 PM
This is an excellent snake image.. Great colors and sharpness where you need it and oh yes the tongue.. Nice low angle gives you a fine perspective...

Howard Burkert
01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Can't add to the comments, all of which I agree with. However I wanted to say that I admire the image very much! Thanks for posting it.
Best,
Howard.

Judd Patterson
01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Lovely image! It's great that you found such a cooperative snake. I saw my first Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake a couple months ago in Everglades NP and he really didn't want to stick around for photographs. I love that raised rattle.

Bob Ettinger
01-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Love the low angle and the composition with the rattle and eyes inthe same plane

Milo Burcham
01-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Awesome snake. I would love to see one of these in the wild some day! I love the composition but wonder if it could be warmed slightly. The blue on top of the head looks makes the white balance seem a little off

John Cooper
01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Awesome image Robert and you have done so well getting this composition. Every nature photographer knows how difficult it is get a pleasing reptile shot because of their length. This one has obliged very nicely. I would be inclined to take this image into PS > Hue/Saturation and desaturate the blue a little - the intensity of blue tone on the head looks a bit excessive.

Jasper Doest
01-14-2008, 05:36 AM
A very interesting photograph with the raised tail and that tongue. Good DOF as well....nice! I am not really sure either about the OOF strip on top....it doesn't really add to the photograph in my opinion. But since it doesn't bother that much either, you might just leave it as it is.