PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher

Raymond Barlow
07-18-2008, 02:28 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/rammy111111/DSC_3950.jpg

Grimsby, Ontario, Canada

Tripod, hide, natural light, 80% of full frame

Nikon D300 (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d300) ,Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/200-400_4g_afs_vr) ,1.4 TC
1/50s f/5.6 at 550.0mm iso250

A local family of Kingfishers has been very entertaining, and also quite frustrating as a good capture is hard to come by!

thanks for looking., have a good weekend.

carole wiley
07-18-2008, 03:16 PM
I think he didn't do too badly by you here. I like the head turn and he is beautifully exposed. I just find the background a bit busy. I like the crop, feels a bit stout, just like the bird.

Arthur Morris
07-18-2008, 03:33 PM
This one is pretty good--nice look-back head angle. I like the way you minimized the big log with either the crop or the framing. The one bright yellowish spot in the BKGR is a bit distracting but could be worked on...

Doug Brown
07-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Looks like you did very well with this one! Nice low angle and good sharpness. I'd work on the right side of the BG and tone it down.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-18-2008, 06:12 PM
I like the perch and details in this one. I might blur the BG a bit more.

Grady Weed
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Good head turn, I'll say! As for 80% of frame...........baby..........sweet!

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Hello Raymond, I did some work on your picture on PS. I wonder if it looks too fake?
I hope you don´t mind. Please let me know your thoughts.

Raymond Barlow
07-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Hello Raymond, I did some work on your picture on PS. I wonder if it looks too fake?
I hope you don´t mind. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi Juan

I sure do not mind at all., and thanks for your interest in helping me learn...

I like your blur application, it does improve the image., but me being the semi-purist, I like to leave the image as is most of the time... I tune in the contrast a bit, clone out a dust bunny, or twig maybe, and slightly sharpen when needed., I never use flash, I never change a background, never add a catchlight, and so on... if that makes me less of a photog, so be it., I will just continue to do my best.

Honestly, I think what you have done is cool, and if it works for you, have at er! I am sure not much at the photoshop, I do have a lot to learn, and its all good.

Also, I stayed at a resort near coco beach, in CR., wow, we had a great time... I like your country a lot! I will be visiting Ecuador this November while co-hosting a workshop... can't wait!

take care!

Arthur Morris
07-19-2008, 06:27 PM
[quote=Raymond Barlow;116213 ...or twig maybe[/quote]

Hey Raymond, Be careful with those twigs. It's a downhill slippery slope from there... :)

Raymond Barlow
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Raymond, Be careful with those twigs. It's a downhill slippery slope from there... :)

thanks for the warning Artie., I can well imagine! Some day I hope I can eliminate cloning, and I will keep trying. I do need to upgrade my editing skills, and I soon will have an opportunity to do just that. My photography continues to open doors I never would have imagined, I am at this stuff 18 hours a day, and loving every minute., so I will hang on tight.

take care.

Arthur Morris
07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
BTW, I meant to mention that the images that come out of all digital cameras are inherently unsharp, so if you think that you are being a purist by refusing to sharpen your images for final output you are not doing them justice...

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Juan

I sure do not mind at all., and thanks for your interest in helping me learn...

I like your blur application, it does improve the image., but me being the semi-purist, I like to leave the image as is most of the time... I tune in the contrast a bit, clone out a dust bunny, or twig maybe, and slightly sharpen when needed., I never use flash, I never change a background, never add a catchlight, and so on... if that makes me less of a photog, so be it., I will just continue to do my best.

Honestly, I think what you have done is cool, and if it works for you, have at er! I am sure not much at the photoshop, I do have a lot to learn, and its all good.

Also, I stayed at a resort near coco beach, in CR., wow, we had a great time... I like your country a lot! I will be visiting Ecuador this November while co-hosting a workshop... can't wait!

take care!

Hey Raymond, great to hear you had a good time down here! next week I am going there with a family that hired my services!
About been purist is not a problem with me, let me explain to you what happens here.
I am also learning, and PS is a big challenge for me as photography is, but, I have discovered that working on someone else image is more challenge for me than working on my own images, may be because I know more or less how I want it to look. :D
I agree with you about leaving a picture the way it is, I red on a John Shaw´s book that you take a good picture in the field, you don´t want to work on it later on PS, but some times it is inevitable. I also like the 'natural' look that a picture can transmit, and some times very talented photographers, like many in this site, can help us with their tips and explanations. ;)

Raymond Barlow
07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
BTW, I meant to mention that the images that come out of all digital cameras are inherently unsharp, so if you think that you are being a purist by refusing to sharpen your images for final output you are not doing them justice...

Thanks Artie

I am not a purist, never will be, I just have a tendency to keep my images as close to what I see through the lens as possible. I am completely committed to the artistic necessity of post digital manipulation., it is simply a necessary evil for me., since I really do not look forward to the whole process.

My D300 is set to Standard mode, with a level 3 sharpening preset., In my work flow, a touch of sharpening is the last step before adding some white and gray canvas., again, I do have a lot to learn.

My basic philosiphy regarding bird photography is "do it right out there" and minimize the efforts at the desk., my top images are ones that took 3 minutes to edit.

Raymond Barlow
07-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey Raymond, great to hear you had a good time down here! next week I am going there with a family that hired my services!
About been purist is not a problem with me, let me explain to you what happens here.
I am also learning, and PS is a big challenge for me as photography is, but, I have discovered that working on someone else image is more challenge for me than working on my own images, may be because I know more or less how I want it to look. :D
I agree with you about leaving a picture the way it is, I red on a John Shaw´s book that you take a good picture in the field, you don´t want to work on it later on PS, but some times it is inevitable. I also like the 'natural' look that a picture can transmit, and some times very talented photographers, like many in this site, can help us with their tips and explanations. ;)

Wonderful., I hope one day we have a chance to work together., you are a gentleman, and I really appreciate you time and effort to help me. I guess it is a kind of purist attitude, and I do agree with your reference to Mr. Shaws' book., and it is the basis of everything I teach in my workshops.

It is all about what ever turns your crank... What works for me is a touch of levels, resize, a touch of sharpening, add a little canvas, signature, and save to web size., 2 minutes, and its a wrap.

Who knows, in another year I might have a whole new attitude, you never know., but for now, I am happy with this creative process.

This site is a great learning experience, fantastic talents, and creative work., and my source of inspiration.

Unfortunately, the position of my hide could not have been improved, so less dof that would create a better (softer) bg would be difficult to create., If I had a floating blind, and could maintain my height, or go higher, with the same focal length, the creamy bg would have been cool.

I will work on setting up the hide at a better location, and see how well these birds will perform for me soon!

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I would be a pleasure to work with you!
Very good luck with your blind Raymond. I am on the process of getting one for my self.:D:)