PDA

View Full Version : Raw converters - for Canon 40D

Jeff Nadler
07-18-2008, 07:36 AM
One of the downsides to my cutting back on my available photo time is not spending as much time keeping current on product software. For my 40D, I continue to use the latest version and 40D profile of Breezebrowser Pro. Although owning CS2, I have never even tried ACR . . leave alone the improved Raw converter within CS3.

Especially for subjects with whites and potentially blown highlights, is there a clear leader in Raw converters for Canon files these days or is it still very subjective?

Axel Hildebrandt
07-18-2008, 07:44 AM
The new ACR (4.4.1 is the current version) coming with CS3 is greatly improved over the CS2 version and has highlight recovery, fill light and an easy to use curves tool, too. I wouldn't say it is the best program available but it does all I need. Lightroom might be a good choice, too, and it comes with ACR.

Julie Kenward
07-18-2008, 07:55 AM
I use the same converter Axel does in CS3 and it works great for me. I was very intimidated about shooting in raw format for the longest time but, now that I do, I rarely go back. I can't tell you how many times I have grabbed an image 'on the fly' and found my settings to be a bit off exposure-wise but the camera raw processing totally saved the image (providing my shutter speed was right!)

Markus Jais
08-18-2008, 04:49 AM
I use Lightroom 2 (which has the same raw software as ACR) and absolutely love it. Hightlight recovery works very good (as long as there is still some detail left) and the possibilites of Lightroom to edit a raw file are great.
If you think about changing software, then LR2 would be a great option.

Markus

Paul Rebmann
09-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Has anyone used Bibble Pro from bibblelabs.com on either Windows or Mac? If so, your impressions?
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for other Mac photo workflow software?