View Full Version : Prettyest Ugly Bird

mikedelaney
07-18-2008, 01:05 AM
canon dig rebel
tamron 28-300
f 6.3
1/1000 sec
ISO 200

i shot this a few years back, i just wanted you to know that when i do have light i use it,however, i almost forgot that i don't have the detail i had in some other shots. i'm not sure i need real detail in this shot though.

Lance Peters
07-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Hi Mike - sorry mate -- I have to disagree - I think its very important to have detail in a shot like this. (I do like the outstreched wings though)

There are times when you can blur and have no detail in the image, I am sure if you look in the avain wild and free forum you will find some examples.

:)

mikedelaney
07-18-2008, 07:01 AM
thanks Lance, i thought i was taking a chance but put it up anyway. i'll know better in any photo that detail is detail.

Julie Kenward
07-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Mike, not only do you need detail but, next time, try leaving more canvas on the side that the bird is flying into instead of what is behind him. You did get nice lighting underneath those wings - its a pity we can't see the detail of the feathers.

Arthur Morris
07-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Good points above but everyone missed or ignored the fact that the image is totally out of focus. It looks as if the lens was focused on the distant sky. I believe that that camera has AI Servo AF; if it does, you need to use that for flying birds and you must keep the AF sensor on the bird. The middle sensor is always best... Now get out and practice. BTW, I LOVE TVs.

Gus Cobos
07-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Mike,
What can I say that has not been said. All of the points or techs. mentioned are important for a good image; but my personal demond is the focus factor... I rather have grain in an image, but the subject has to be in focus. Well that being said, looking foward to your next one...:D

mikedelaney
07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
i'm sorry. but i'm learning. can't get proper lighting where i shoot from so i'm giving up on birds and am going to try flowers and bugs.

Desmond Chan
07-18-2008, 09:42 PM
i'm sorry. but i'm learning. can't get proper lighting where i shoot from so i'm giving up on birds and am going to try flowers and bugs.

Oh man, I think I would give up if I can't find any birds. That seems to be the biggest problem I have :(

You can control the lighting a bit. Sunshine is not necessarily a good thing. People photograph at night, too. So, I think you should give it a second thought.

BTW, shooting flowers is deceptively difficult. Everybody can shoot a sharp flower pic with good DOF...doable even with a compact digi-cam. But to make one that stands out from the rest, not just another flower photo, it can be very difficult. Besides, wind is a problem shooting flowers in the wild :D But, if you have a studio...

However, shooting flowers is cheaper than shooting birds :)