PDA

View Full Version : Latourell Falls

Bruce Murden
07-17-2008, 11:09 PM
A lovely area, not only for this tall and slender waterfall, but for the abundant macro opportunities on the paths near the falls. My first pass at this, LR only. I'd like to bring out some details in the LR rocks, and see about detail in the falls. Any other suggestions?

Nikon D80, Tamron 17-50 @ 22 mm, ISO 100, 0.6s @ f/11, tripod, chamois cloth to clean the lens (well, to clean the polarizer in front of the lens).

Robert Amoruso
07-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Bruce,

I tried using Shadows/Highlights (PSCS3) with 25/25/30 settings for the shadows and +15 increase in mid-tone contrast and opened up the shadows nicely. The white in the falls looks fine to me.

I like the composition a lot. You have the falls entering on the right and river flowing out in the lower left as a diagonal. The large green area on left balances with the lower right rocks well. I think you need a bit more sharpening.

Johannes Glännman
07-18-2008, 08:17 AM
I like the picture.... I really like all the green that makes me feel like I am in a rainforest and the soft look of the green to the left is really nice because I think it looks like all moist from the fall is all in the air...

A bit more sharpening that makes the big stones look better I think is going to bring the hole picture forward even better.

cheers // Johannes

Arthur Morris
07-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Excellent sugggestions above plus a small boost in contrast. Next time that you go back I would love to see a taller VERT...

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Bruce,
Artie beat me to it.......while I think the colors are excellent.....I never like to see a waterfall clipped at the top. This is one of the instances where you did an excellent job with the comp in the horizontal presentation....even with the clip....but my mind and eye want to see the source of the falls and the vert would have been even stronger.

Arthur Morris
07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Jeez, maybe I am not a landscape dunce after all. I will have to try one one of these years...

Bruce Murden
07-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks to all for the comments so far. This was a time and place were a vert wouldn't work too well. Not too far above the frame the sun was shining on the falls. WAY too much contrast. A good reason to go back there and get some new comps!

Arthur Morris
07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
A good time to go back on a cloudy day...

Bruce Murden
07-20-2008, 11:25 PM
What do you know... I had a vert that just skirted the edge of the sunny area. Can't go any higher until I return to Portland.