PDA

View Full Version : Thistle

Sid Overbey
07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Lots of nasty thistles are starting to bloom around our area. This one was particularly tall and spiky.
Nikon D300
Sigma 150-500@500MM
F/6.3
1/100s
ISO 500
Av mode
EC +2/3

Thanks for looking and comments.

Bruce Murden
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Good choice of thistle. Looks backlit in a good way to bring out the buds. I also really like the bokeh with this long lens -- just enough pattern in the BG without dominating. I'd like the yellowish area beside/behind the LL bud to be less prominent, but otherwise love the image.

Ed Vatza
07-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Aw, they're not nasty. Besides, Tigger loves them! :)

And so do I. Thistle and Teasel and two of my favorite wildflowers. Nice composition here. I really like the multiple buds. I do wish for a darker background. I think that would make the thistles stand out more. And maybe a bit more dof so the very tips of the emerging flowers were a bit sharper. But still a very nice image, Sid.

Gus Cobos
07-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Good composition Sid.
I like the soft green background and the details on your subject...:cool:

Robert O'Toole
07-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Sid,

Fine light, sweet BG and the comp is nice.

The subject is a little larger in the frame than ideal i would like to see a little more breathing room in one direction. And also you need to be careful with subjects that dont move when you compose. This subject seems to be leaning to the right a little. I would rotate CCW to make the purple bud portion vertical.

Robert

Mike Moats
07-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey Sid, a nice balance image through out. Good details, color and BG. Well done.