1/30s
F/22
160 ISO
40mm lens
Camera resting on rock in stream

Robert Amoruso
07-18-2008, 07:06 AM
James,

Like the use of the rocks in the FG and especially those two little brown ones - mimics the peaks in the BG. You mention this is 2 1/4" format - which way did you crop. I am kind of thinking that having the peak out of the relative middle of the image may improve it. But I like how you cropped this as well.

I do suggest a local contrast enhancement with some JPG output sharpening. It looks a bit flat and soft. I tried it and liked it but on the small JPG it looks overdone. In your scanned TIFF, local contrast enhancement should work out better.

James Parker
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Robert, I cropped the sides off to make it a verticle shot.
Is local contrast enhancemment done with the lasso tool? What is JPG output sharpening?
Thanks for the critique, Jim

Arthur Morris
07-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Interesting image in that it moves our eye around the frame. Robert, I think that the brown foreground elements are stuck sticks.... I like the spray coming in from the right and do not like the peak in the center, so, if I am not drunk, it would seem that your moving just a bit to your right and placing the peak and the two pieces of brown wood (???) in the llc would have included more of the spray on the right side of the image and yielded a more balanced COMP.... (This stuff is pretty complicated for a bird photographer!)

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi James,
Artie is correct with his assesment about the comp.......and then I read where you cropped the Image....(thanks for asking Robert!).........you can now play with the crop and move the mtn. to either the right........and include more of the cloud formation.......or to the left as Artie suggested (either way would improve comp IMO).. If you chose to move it left, reducing the clouds, I would investigate cropping a bit of the blue out of the sky.......about 1/2 between the upper cloud. The lower right corner has a bit of blurry rock???.....that is a bit distracting...so if the re-introduction of that side includes more..........I would opt for the other side.
Local contrast enhancement is in the Unsharp Mask area of PS.........I usually start with amount 20.......Radius 40......Threshold 0. They all can be tinkered with but I wouldn't go over 50 on the amount........about 60 on the radius.....and 4 on the threshold. The orignal #'s I gave you are good starting points and by checking and unchecking the preview button........it's then easy to judge the difference.

Roman Kurywczak
07-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi James,
I thought about this one some more.......and figured I'd give you an alternative crop possibiity from what was presented. Let me know what you think,
Roman