PDA

View Full Version : The Parthanon At Night

Ed Cordes
07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Greece. Here is an iconic image of the Parthanon. The trip was great; we learned a lot of history. Kind of humbling being among ruins whose original building was about 1400 BC or so!! I will post additional images as time permits.

This was made with my Canon 1DMK2 and 100-400 @ 260. Center weight metering at ISO 200 and f8 with 1/2 second on tripod. Full frame with a bit of levels applied.

Thanks for looking. All comments are most welcome.

Robert Amoruso
07-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Very cool. Nice detail in the structure.

George DeCamp
07-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey Ed, this is a gorgeous image....nice time of day as well for it!

Alfred Forns
07-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Excellent Ed !!! I know its not easy getting a good angle Can't imagine a better time and great feel !!!

btw when they talk about ruins over there they are not kidding :)

Julie Kenward
07-20-2008, 08:18 AM
What a beautiful image Ed! That golden light against that deep blue sky...what could be better???

Tim Rucci
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
This is a really sweet shot, Ed. It's an amazing sight during the day, and even more so at night. It's breathtaking for those of us who only get to visit Greece. I see you made good use of your 100-400 lens.

I had wanted to see this site since I was a kid in high school studying anicent architecture, and finally was able to do that last year. I was fortunate to be staying at a hotel only 2 blocks away (Divani Palace Acropolis), and captured some night images from our 7th floor balcony. We also explored during the day and found a hill adjacent to the parthenon where we could climb high enough actually get a view almost level with it. Then we returned there at night and I shared my tripod with some others who had not brought one. I made good use of my 100-400 lens on this trip, even though I had not planned on taking it due the its weight. The morning we were setting out, my wife said she thought I would regret it if I didn't take the 100-400. I took that as a sign, and re-did my carry on bag to accomodate it. It was brutal carrying that bag on the trip over, but I was glad I had it when I started to see opportunities to use it.