PDA

View Full Version : Green Darner

Keith Kennedy
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Another image of the Green Darner. A small amount of Gausian blur (7.5) applied to the background and ca. 20% crop from original. Small highlight on compound eye patched using quick mask. Not the typical dragonfly portrait (wings parallel to the film plane) but I have plenty of those. I was attempting something different.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III, Canon 180mm f3.5, ISO 400, f8 and 1/250s; AV, Evaluative metering, exp. comp. 0; tripod mounted, location-Wisconsin garden.

Ed Vatza
07-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Must be my eyes this early morning. This is another composition where the elements (subject, perch and background) all look good but the overall image looks a bit flat to me. I think that may be a result of not enough contrast between the greens. The darner is green, the flower is green as is the background. And they all seem to be the same shade. Maybe if the background was a darker shade, it would set off the darner and flower more. But again, all the compositional elements looks very good to me. And it just may be my tired old eyes.

Is this guy a pet? :D

Keith Kennedy
07-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Ed, you are correct, it is too light. My curves adjustment for the uploaded image was definitely off. Will repost with the original curves setting. Thanks. Keith

Robert O'Toole
07-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Awesome Keith, the pose is great I love the details in the front legs and I like the diagonal comp with the perch.

The greens all look good its just the highlights in the perch that seem too hot. Other than that I would change anything...

Robert

Mike Moats
07-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey Keith, a fine image that just needs to be darkened as you already have stated

D. Robert Franz
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
What a great looking dragonfly, A fine capture...