PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Brown Bear with wildflowers

Robert O'Toole
07-17-2008, 07:48 PM
This image of a wild Coastal Brown Bear is from a series made last week in Alaska during a workshop I was leading to Katmai.

I chose this image for its wide framing that shows the wildflowers well. I have many more with the bear much larger in the frame but I like this version since you can see the flowers so well. I am interested to see what BPN'ers think.

This young Brown Bear is resting in a field of Wild Geranium, Chocolate Lilly, Yellow Paintbrush, and Wild Iris. He is purposely sitting right in the path of a really strong wind current. You can see his ears blowing back and the grasses blowing over. He reminded me of a dog riding in a pickup or out of a window with his face in the wind. He really seemed to enjoy it. This situation called for constant position correction due to the strong wind and current. I also like the image because it is very different from the images of Brown Bear you will usually see here on BPN.

I will lead 3 workshops here in 2008, 2009, 2010, let me know if you are interested in joining me.

Robert

NIKON D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Handheld
1/500 @ F4, Manual Mode, ISO: 800
Focal length: 750mm (equivalent in 35mm film)

Image Copyright 2008; Robert OToole Photography .com

Steve Canuel
07-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi Robert,
I like the environmental elements. The bear is positioned nicely in the furrow (besides the breeze feeling good maybe some extra scent leads on food?) and the flowers provide nice little additions of color. Don't know if its because of all the grass or not but the vegetation seems to be a little oversaturated and have a slight yellowish-green cast. Never been up there myself so maybe this could be completely natural colors?
Steve

Sabyasachi Patra
07-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi Robert,
I like this one. It shows the environment well. The wildflowers are so nice. Getting a Bear is a bonus. I always feel, creating an environmental shot is much more difficult. Handholding a 500mm lens in strong wind? Wow!

Lori A. Cash
07-18-2008, 07:05 AM
I like this image, Robert. I like that it is different from the usual bear images. The wildflowers add a nice touch of color.

carole wiley
07-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I like the bear and the flowers but I have to agree that the greens look a bit over the top.

Robert Amoruso
07-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Overall I like it Robert but agree that the green saturation seems a bit too high.

Grady Weed
07-18-2008, 11:53 AM
First and foremost I love habitat images that showcase the subject in a complimentary setting but do not detract from him or her. I think you did that here. The obvious trail is a plus as well as the apparent choice to sit there, it comes across as purposeful and relaxed. I like the uplifted paw, as if he is resting it on the rock or lump for comfort, an outdoor easy chair. The ears do look wind blown, a real plus to me, it says comfortable. I like the overall composition, a field of flowers with a bear in it.

That said, this image is a huge departure from most I see. I like it. The greens do look green. Only you know if they match what you saw. If they do keep it. I appreciate your asking us what we think, shows humility and a willingness to listen to others for suggestions. Thank you for posting and the privilege of looking.

Charles Glatzer
07-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Robert,

Is this a big crop?

Chas

Robert O'Toole
07-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Robert,

Is this a big crop?

Chas

No not at all why do you ask?

I checked just in case and I dont think I cropped it more than a few %. Here is a cap..

Robert

D. Robert Franz
07-18-2008, 05:57 PM
A very nice environmental image here. Greens covered above. I like it the flowers and the relaxed position of the bear make it a trnaquil image...

Charles Glatzer
07-18-2008, 09:58 PM
No not at all why do you ask?

I checked just in case and I dont think I cropped it more than a few %. Here is a cap..

Robert

Since you asked...the image has a strange look to it. Nothing appears definitively sharp, sort of like a slightly soft image sharpened in post-production. I can not really put my finger on it, but something seems amiss.

Respectfully,

Chas

Robert O'Toole
07-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Since you asked...the image has a strange look to it. Nothing appears definitively sharp, sort of like a slightly soft image sharpened in post-production. I can not really put my finger on it, but something seems amiss.

Respectfully,

Chas

Ok got it. Well I figured it out the problem, you are right it was a compression problem. I had to compress down to 50 quality to make it under the 200K limit. Viewed at 600-700 K at full quality the image looks better.

Thanks for the input as always Chas!

Robert

Gayle Clement
07-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I believe I like the flowers as much as I do the bear. I remember my first sight of chocolate lilies. There's an awful lot of them here.

I'd love to see a larger version of this. It must be really special.

Charles Glatzer
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Ok got it. Well I figured it out the problem, you are right it was a compression problem. I had to compress down to 50 quality to make it under the 200K limit. Viewed at 600-700 K at full quality the image looks better.

Thanks for the input as always Chas!

Robert

Robert,

ProJpeg really does work well. http://boxtopsoft.com/projpeg.html I have been using it for years.

Chas

Robert O'Toole
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Robert,

ProJpeg really does work well. http://boxtopsoft.com/projpeg.html I have been using it for years.

Chas

I remember you have recommended that before I might give it a try, thanks,

Robert