PDA

View Full Version : Barking Up The Right Tree

Julie Kenward
07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
In an attempt to do some macro work in an area other than flowers and leaves, I've turned towards trees - their scarred and patterned bark to be exact. From now through Autumn this is going to be one of my areas of focus. I'm starting to realize that each tree has a history to tell if one takes the notice.
Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f6.3 @ 1/60th, ISO 320
Handheld, late evening sun

Processed in camera raw with a tweak in levels & a small crop.

Ed Vatza
07-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Julie,

Let me start off by saying that I like it. I like the repeating patterns as well as the way it moves from UL to LR and back again. The color looks great and, except for the UR, the image looks very sharp. You do lose focus in the upper right. Finally you have a wonderful blend of textures here. Good work. I look forward to more.

Anita Rakestraw
07-20-2008, 03:44 AM
Another fine and interesting image, Julie! Tree bark is definitely cool! You did a fine job altho I do kinda wish that upper corner were as sharp as the rest of the image.

Mike Moats
07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey Julie, a really fine comp in lines, pattern, and textures. Good lighting. Even though this appears a fairly flat subject I would have stopped down much more to at least f/16, or my usual f/32. As mention the top right corner came out soft and this image needs to be sharp though out. I never take a chance on lower f/stops if I want it all in focus. Good eye to see this great pattern.