PDA

View Full Version : Squacco Heron with a prey

Kaushik Balakumar
07-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Could not capture the moment when the heron actually caught the prey. It actually washed its prey, tossed it up & gobbled it down.
One of the intermediate moments...

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/97238306.jpg

Not sure what the prey is - it sure looked like a huge insect. Could not shoot from a lower angle because I was in one those wooden hides constructed near the ponds. It was the first time, I'd mounted the lens on D300 body & failed to check many settings - just saw this moment & went firing.

Techs:
Nikon D300 + Sigma f4.5 500mm EX
f/4.5, 1/5000, ISO800, tripod, 40% of the full frame

La Sauge - Switzerland

Views welcome...

Ed Cordes
07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Nice behavior image. I like the reflection of the dinner in the water. I do wish the tail of the heron were visible and the image looks like a bit more sharpening would help.

Steve Canuel
07-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Kaushik,
Lovely colors on that heron. I also like the rippling circle in the water. Overall image looks a little soft and flat, quite different from your other posts. Your prey item looks to be a mole cricket to me. About the size of a man's thumb.
Steve

Axel Hildebrandt
07-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Great moment captured, too bad you were not a bit further to your right for a better angle and to have the tail in the frame, too. I agree on more sharpening and a boost in contrast.