PDA

View Full Version : Snail Kite Portrait

Harold Davis
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM
probably one of the most boring pictures of a snail kite i have seen lately, but it's the closest i have been to one and it had as much detail as i have ever gotten before. only cropped the left side for compo. does the round thingies being cut off bother you that much?

D300, Bigma at 500mm, f/6.3, 1/800s, ISO 500, -0.3EV, flash fill at +2.3EV

thanks for looking and comments and critiques are appreciated.

Gus Cobos
07-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Excellent Mr. Harold,
You did very well considering the harsh light. I like the perch and the funky defused blue background good details onthe feathers and sharp eye...congrats...:cool:

Mike Tracy
07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Looks a little "bright" but not harsh. For the most part a fine example of this species which is hard to capture. Maybe try toning down the greys albeit the lower midtones but one to be happy with, Probably might present better as more of a vertical.

Lance Peters
07-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Mr H - never seen one of these before. I like that BG and that red eye.

The harsh light police already have you :) In regards to the round thingies - I think AL'S words are if its worth including - its worth including it ALL.
The FG is a bit cluttered - Just prune those two angled branches that form a rectangle at the bottom off. :)

Katie Rupp
07-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Harold, Not boring, a good image until you get the one you're striving for. I vote for a vertical crop and the cut off seed pods (?) do sorta bother me. And it's probably the direct sunlight that makes it look a little flat, to me. I've never seen this bird but I've heard it is a photographic challenge?

Gus Hallgren
07-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I love the capture, super pose, nice BG, bird sharp & clear. Maybe a tad of linear curves to make it pop a bit?
You were at the right place at the right time, Congrats . . . Uncle Gus :)

Alberto Oria
07-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Great detail Harold, taken under thought conditions, I like it very much

Oscar Zangroniz
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Great capture of this beautiful Kite. Excellent background, looks a tad bright on my monitor.
Regards,

Dave Slaughter
07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Nice photo. The light is harsh but you get shots when the opportunity presents itself. Very sharp, nice detail.