PDA

View Full Version : Night at West Quoddy Light

Roman Kurywczak
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Taken a few nights ago.........a bit of fog rolled in to really accentuate the beam. Another one of those that I covered the beam during the exposure. Canon Mark 3 with the 28-135mm lens at f4.5 and 30 seconds at ISO 640. I debated the removal of the green channel marker and the other red distant light........but left it for this presentation.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Gayle Clement
07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I love the clear light beams from the lighthouse, the detail in the semi-dark lawn and that beautiful lighthouse building. I even like the channel markers and red light.

I would like to see this cropped from the left to just to the left of the second tall tree and a little from the top. Right now the light is so centered that it seems of primary importance. By cropping a bit you lend a bit more importance to the lightkeeper's home.

Robert Amoruso
07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Roman,

I think this is real cool but the first thing I thought is I would like to see more detail. The repost is nothing more then a curves correction - point 1/3 up from the shadows pulled right and up a lot. I then masked the bright light at the light house out to lower the affect.

I would have preferred not to see the light beam coincident with the horizon - a lower or higher elevation could have corrected that. I know that when you made the image, that merge may not have been anticipated due to the darkness.

Nice work composing the seen - I like the flag and the water. Gayle has a good suggestion on the crop. I like the channel markers - adds to the nautical theme.

Brian Wong
07-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi Roman!

My initial impression was that the white "telephone pole" on the right was a distraction. But now I see in Robert's repost that it is a nautical themed flag pole with a flapping flag! How cool! Incredible how much detail you got there Robert! So now I am leaning with Gayle and Robert ... thinking what it would look like with a little more showing to the right. I really liked how you were able to capture the light house rays of light.

Roman Kurywczak
07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. I looked at Gayle's crop suggestion b4 I posted........and decided to keep this one even though the lighthouse was centered. Not my usual preference..........maybe just a long day reaction. It's also pretty funny that I darkened the original to look more like night! I have to stop doing correctons on 3 hours sleep as Robert's does look better........but I'm still only on 4 hours sleep!

Robert Amoruso
07-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Roman,

I tried Gayle's crop last night and find I like your version better. Even though the light is not in the center, the house become the center.

I know the problem - working on images with three hours sleep can be hazardous to your health. :)

Arthur Morris
07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Robert's repost is 1,000% better. I thought that I posted that I did not like this one at all, but perhaps I forgot to hit Quick Reply... IAC, what bugs me in the repost is that now that I can actually see some of the stuff in the image, the flagpole merges with the rock in the water... Still nowhere near Roman's usual great landscape stuff.

Grady Weed
07-20-2008, 03:55 PM
A side note here. This lighthouse is the fogiest place in Maine. You get fog 90% of the time in the mornings. A clear or day is a miracle almost. Roman made out. It was nice to meet you.