PDA

View Full Version : Bryce in the snow

Harold Stiver
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
I heard people complaing at Ruby's Inn that a snowfall was expected overnight. Of course, I wanted to cheer. The next day the canyon was bitter cold but a marvel and I had it all to myself.

This is three shots joined in Photoshop by pasting them as layers and touching it up.

Robert Amoruso
07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Harold,

Complaining about snow!:confused: Go figure.

Love seeing this area in snow and I know what you are talking about being cold. I think my second worst outdoor cold experience was right here. No snow just bitter cold.

Please post the technicals next time. Nice to know the equipment used. I am guessing a wide-angle and you tilted down, hence the distortion. With the affect of the curvature of the canyon, the distortion in the vertical plane is not distracting too me. I am wondering that after the stitch, can this be corrected in PS using the lens distortion filter?

Given a large enough wide angle, you might be able to go vertical, keep the lens level and create more images then crop later. Better yet a tilt-shift lens could be used.

You did well with the manual merge. I like the contrasting colors of the canyon and the snow. With the overcast, you had great light and saturated colors. The bit of fogginess adds a nice atmospheric look to the image - providing depth. Certainly worth the effort and wish I could have been there with you.

Harold Stiver
07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks Robert

The shots were taken with 5D, 24-70mm at 24, f/18, 4 sec ss, ISO100

Interesting that you mention the tilt/shift as I have just been researching the. I'm trying to figure out whether I would be better to get 24mm or 45mm. I do a lot more around 24mm for landscapes but I'm not sure that directly translates to the same for a t/s

Arthur Morris
07-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Tillt-shift, tilt smift. I like this and would love to have seen it taller and with more on the right and a bit more on the left... The snow really adds to it. What was the low temp?

Robert Amoruso
07-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Robert

The shots were taken with 5D, 24-70mm at 24, f/18, 4 sec ss, ISO100

Interesting that you mention the tilt/shift as I have just been researching the. I'm trying to figure out whether I would be better to get 24mm or 45mm. I do a lot more around 24mm for landscapes but I'm not sure that directly translates to the same for a t/s

The Canon ones are $1000 each. Jeez I hate to say it but I have all three. With the 45mm you can do double rows, the 24mm would probably be best for single rows. I like the 90mm as it is good for more distant subjects. I probably do 2/3 with the 24mm, and the other 1/3 of my panos with the 45mm and 90mm.

Agree with Artie on the left and right and bottom. I thought of that but got too wrapped up in the lens selection thing. I feel how you approached this worked out well. Nice work.

David Kennedy
07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Harold,
I'm noticing a bit of bowing in the horizon lines of the image and, while I know that images captured at 24mm can be harder to stitch due to the distortion introduced (which is more noticeable when the images are placed side-by-side), I'm wondering if using an actual stitching program would have helped alleviate this issue? Photomerge in CS3 is completely different from that in CS2, but there are also third party programs such as AutoPano Pro. If you don't have CS3, I might suggest downloading the trial of AutoPano and seeing if the resulting image would be any different from the one you created manually by placing layers side-by-side in Photoshop and blending them together. I think it might help reconcile the horizon lines that are so disjointed from each other?

Also, I would recommend cropping off the bit of treeline at the left edge of the frame because I feel its distracting the way it hits the top edge of the image.

Cheers,
David

Michael Pancier
07-18-2008, 05:58 AM
beautiful scene. agree with all the comments.

Harold Stiver
07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry for the late reply. I picked up an annoying malware which has taken me several hours to eliminate. I made the mistake of trying out IE7 .

Thank you all for the generous suggestions. I hadn't considered correcting the distortion, I think it would be worth trying.

I also appreciate and agree with the cropping instructions.

Thanks also for the info on the T/S lenses. If I can pry open my wallet, I think the 24mm would suit me best.

Thanks again, Harold