PDA

View Full Version : Eurasian Thick-knee ( Burhinus oedicnemus )

Pramod Viswanath
07-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Made this image couple of months ago in a bird sanctuary near Bangalore early in the morning. Would love to know your views.

Canon 30D, Canon 300 F2.8 L IS USM + Canon 2X TC II, F8, 1/400s, ISO 125, manual exposure, Gitzo 5540LS, W-II

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2008, 09:23 AM
This looks like a beautiful bird, and the lighting looks nice too. Just wish for a better head turn...and the image is oversharpened.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Great light, BG and angle. I agree with Daniel regarding head turn and sharpening. Keep them coming!

Arthur Morris
07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
In addition to the above, this might have been better with the bird positioned a bit to our left. And yes, it is way oversharpened. At what stage of your workflow did you sharpen this?

Pramod Viswanath
07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the review. Arthur, its a pleasure getting it reviewed from you. Sharpening was done as a last step. Let me know your thoughts.I will reprocess the image in a while and post it again. Meanwhile, any suggestions from you?

Arthur Morris
07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the review. Arthur, its a pleasure getting it reviewed from you. Sharpening was done as a last step. Let me know your thoughts.I will reprocess the image in a while and post it again. Meanwhile, any suggestions from you?

Hi Pramod, You are welcome. I just wanted to make sure that you were not sharpening your master file and then reducing the size for web.

As for sharpening for web, you do not want the image to look at all oversharpened as you do when sharpening a large file for printing. Be sure to work at 100% and to click preview on and off so that you can see what you are doing.

I sharpen my 800pixel j-pegs generically as part of an action. Here are the settings that I use: one round at 200, .3, 1 and a second round at 125, .2, 0.

On very rare occasion these setting result in a small sharpening halo that is usually spotted by Axel :) but I simply do not have the time to sharpen each e-mail jpeg individually. Hope that that helps. Later and love, artie

Pramod Viswanath
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
How about this? Original post was that of a full frame image and this is 5% crop from the original. Another issue might be that I use a TFT and not a CRT monitor :(

Axel Hildebrandt
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Sharpening looks much better, there is a slight sharpening halo around the legs, Artie told you so :). Make sure to sharpen within the borders of the subject. More room at the bottom would be good.

Pramod Viswanath
07-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks a ton for these wonderful comments/reviews. Its a pleasure to be on BPN and learning things from experts :).
Will try to incorporate these learnings in my future postings.

Wayne Richardson
07-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Pramond

Nits & positives already mentioned. Although re-post is better, it's a bit too tight at the bottom & original was better in that respect.

Cheers: Wayne

PS: This is a Great Thick-knee (Esacus recurvirostris) note the massive 'banana' shaped bill.

Arthur Morris
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Much better but you took too much off the bottom. No need to crop anything from the bottom.

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Like the repost much better but agree on the cropping. Thanks for sharing.

Juan Aragonés
07-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Pramod, I like a lot this image. the light is very nice to my taste and love the pose of the bird. The eye is killer.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Lovely image Pramod. The sharpening in re-post looks much better (not over-sharpened as the 1st post). Most of all, the lighting is superb. I know u have loads of fantastic images to share ;)
Keep 'em coming...